will it take (gross question)

I was just curious if anyone has or know anyone who chopped off part of their finger and had it reattached? My father did this yesterday ( I found the finger and had to take it to the ER). I was wondering what the likelyhood of it taking and him not having to have more removed? I know you guys are not doctors and such just want to know what experiences you have had.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Health

• I think it has to do with how long it wasn't attached, how dirty it got, and how clean the cut was.

honestly though, I don't know anyone that had it done successfully, and I've known several people to lose fingers! Sad huh? LOL

Age also plays a big factor because the older you get, circulation can get worse, lack of decent blood flow means no reattachment.

But on the bright side, everyone I know that lost fingers, didn't have any major problems with function. Just had to relearn a few things depending on the finger lost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Thanks. It was unattached for about 45 mins. He lost from first knuckle up on his pointer finger on his right hand (he is a righty as well) so it was a bad one to loose if you had to loose one I guess. He will know more on tuesday when he goes back to the doctor. I told him that I would be devistated if I lost a part of my finger (funny thing is my brother ran over my had when I was 3 years old and chopped off my ring finger on my right hand at just around the same place as my dad) it was reattached and I have never had a problem with it. He told me, 'well there is 37 years difference between you and me so no biggy when you are an old man to loose a part of a finger" He seems in good spirits about it. It was just really scary.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• sorry missed part of a sentence...my brother ran over mine with a push lawnmower when I was 3.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i know someone who had his reattached finger removed. i have no idea how much time had passed b/t it getting cut off and attached in the first place. he found it less troublesome completely gone. really, it doesn't seem like this would be the norm though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2010