Can I give my 4 month old the gerber ceral yet?

He looks at me while i eat but isn't 4 months to young?

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people say 4 some say six some ebf till there nine months. There is actually a quiz on the gerber website but some things to look for. Supported sitter eating more then 32 oz of formula a day grabbing at food, turning there head or doing something to signify there full. Also watch for there push out reflex. Babies are born with it and some peditricians swear that when they stop doing that there ready for food. My daughter started at 4month 2 weeks and its doing awesome!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I'd wait, for the gastrointestinal health of your baby. Just because they watch mommy eat doesn't mean they're ready. Mine were watching me at 2 months, and trying to grab my food if they were too close while I was eating. It's normal. Hold off if he's doing fine with just breast or bottle right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You can start...I would give it more on the runny side though just to be safe of any choking hazards. My son was eating it at 2 months and did great on it. Also watch for constipation issues. With rice cereal some babies can become constipated
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Look for the push reflex. If you try it and it all comes out, then your baby isnt ready. My baby is 14 weeks and she started last week. She sits in her bumbo chair, her head doesnt bob around she opens her mouth for me and she doesnt push the food out she moves it around in her mouth and swallows. My other daughter wasnt ready for solids till she was 6 months. It all depends on the baby.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 12:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Have you tasted that stuff? It tastes horrible. It's a marketing ploy and not needed. YOu can give baby's table food. Wait until the baby can sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can reach for food. That happens around six months old. All these at the same time indicate gut maturity which means less gas and constipation trouble. Skip the jar food..you'd be paying for half water! Real food. less fuss. Remember feed formula/breastmilk first and solids second because food before one is just for fun.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• There are so many benefits to waiting until at least 6 months, and no benefits to starting early, so I say wait.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It is a bit young. I'd wait until at least 6 mos, and I'd also skip cereal, and just go straight to a fruit of veggie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Also, to add, if he was watching you while you did the dishes, would you think he's ready to help with chores? LOL sorry, just my way of saying that just because he's watching what you're doing, doesn't mean he's ready to DO what he's watching.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010