How do you handle child support court?

I have been going on and off for almost 8 months, and he has failed to show and or comply with orders, and at last weeks hearing had an attorney show up. I always tell my daughter I am responsible for myself and her, and I do the best I can for us. I am having a hard time understanding how his mind works, how he will move across the country, go places with his friends and or gf but can not help monthly. I don't except him to pay because I know him and I am used to it, however it hurts me to see my child hurt. I still let her visit his family when they or my daughter ask.

JBOYD4

Asked by JBOYD4 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you are a wise woman. Realizing that you are not going to change him and that it is just the two of you is smart. Beating your head against the wall trying to understand his selfishness is not going to do anything but give you a headache. Kudos to you for letting your daughter see his family. She will realize what type of people they are all by herself. She will also grow up to know that you will always have her back and she needs that security. My ex walked out when the girls were 7 and 2. My youngest will be 22 soon and he still owes support. I will not forgive the debt. When I do get some money I put it away for her wedding. It was really hard to keep my mouth shut about him but they figured out who really loves them. Today they will tell people how they always knew I would be there for them. When you hear your daughter say that about you, you will be smiling thru the tears and you will know it was the right thing.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'm in the same situation, been trying to get my ex into court for years now. We finally have a court date scheduled for 2/23, which the judge said would NOT be continued any longer. He doesn't pay, but still gets the kids for visitation. Seems very unfair to me, but I make sure my kids have what they need and some of what they want. Hopefully, some day the courts will figure out how to get him to pay the money so I can provide more of their wants.
    I do know that as my kids get older, they see more and more how things are and where the things they need/want come from - me and not their dad. I don't say anything, but they are smart enough to figure things out on their own.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010