Do you have a budget?

How do you do it? Envelopes, Spread Sheet, and how do you stick to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• no..i give dh money for my car insurence and cell phone bill and i spend whatever else on what i want...he keeps up with the actual budget on a notepad.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have a notebook and I keep track of all the budget that way. It never really changes which simplifies things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I put a certain amount into savings, retirement and investment accounts. I write a check for our tithe. I then pay the mortgage, utilities and car insurance. What is left we spend on groceries, other expenses and fun. I make sure we are paid first then the bills since my husband is salary it is pretty easy and we always have more than enough.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have a strict budget. Mortgage, utilities (gas, electric & water), groceries, car payment, car insurance, pet food, trash pickup cell phone, gas for the car & U-Verse are paid in full every month. Whatever is left over is ours. People always look at me like I am crazy to count groceries, gas for the car and pet food as bill but we have to eat, the dogs have to eat and we need gas for the car so to me that makes those things automatic bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We have a written zero based budget. Meaning every dollar is spent on paper the month before my husband gets paid.
    Together my husband and I go over the budget to make sure we agree on how we are going to spend the money. Sometimes we decide to change things mid-month but we always stay in agreement.

We also use the envelope system for things that you pay cash for. So groceries, clothes, birthdays etc. NOT things like utilities and rent. And of course, like someone else said, we prioritize. If we think we're going to be short, we don't take out money for entertainment. Heck we don't even budget for it.

Check out DaveRamsey.com for more information or the Dave Ramsey group on Cafemom.
    GOOD LUCK :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I just do it in a notebook. The regular expenses don't change much from one month to the next and then I also budget in anything that comes up that might be out of the ordinary. There are things that have to be paid once a month, like the phone bill, insurance etc. We pay our mortgage biweekly and then I get groceries weekly and fill the car weekly. So when I sit down to do the budget for that month, I break it up into four weeks (I should add that we have money coming in 3 times / month, which is why this works for us).

I include any expense I know upfront that I'm going to have that month (also keeping in mind the next month in case there is an item I need to start saving for). I budget in money for savings too.

I don't really find it hard to stick to because I like to know how my money is being spent; I don't like being in debt and I like to have money saved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My husband uses an Excel worksheet.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i have a bill organizing booklet, it has spaces to write when everything is due, and a pocket to put the bills, and the receipts from the bills. i got it at the dollar store. it's great :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yes and no. Because I am self employed, my income varies every month. But I do keep track of how much money I need to make so I know just how much I need to make all the bills. Sometimes I get behind but we always have everything we need.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• yep we have a budget.. we live by necessity ... finally i have income coming so my income is our play money now.. im going to school for accounting to help moms learn to budget..love it!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010