Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who can qualify for speech and occupational therapy?

Is it only children with dissabilities and disorders or any child?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (4)
  • Your child needs to be diagnosed by professionals in the field to see if there are any disabilities, learning disorders, or developmental delays. There are programs like Early Childhood Intervention that are need based and sliding-scale based (on income), or you can pay for it yourself. I highly doubt that a child who does not have a need for these services would benefit from them.

    Answer by yogapantz at 12:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

  • Ditto to the pp.
    Of course, you can pay for such services out-of-pocket if you really believe they are necessary, but your child is not diagnosed with any needs.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

  • I had my son tested through ECI because he seemed a little behind on speech at 2. To qualify for services he needed to test at least 6 months behind schedule on speech or behind in at least 3 areas. He ended up testing about one month behind on speech and ahead on everything else. He didn't qualify based on the testing, but they said they could call it an atypical qualification since his speech was not inline with his other skills. A speech therapist drops by his daycare about once a week and works with him for 45 minutes to an hour. He isn't getting extensive services, but it seems useful anyway. The speech therapist reports to me about his progress and suggests things we can do to help him. She also suggests things to his daycare teacher.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

  • Oops. I did not actually answer your question. Any child can qualify if they have a developmental delay, but very minor delays may not automatically qualify. The exact requirements may be different from one state to another. Testing is free, and even if your child doesn't qualify for services they may be able to offer you some suggestions of things you can do on your own.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.