What is a good type of milk to give your baby if they have only had soy formula.

Father does not want her to have cow's milk. So she was on soy formula. She is one now and has to switch over to milk. I am afraid it could make her sick. Wondering if we should stick to soy, rice type milk or go ahead and give her cow's milk, maybe lactose free or something.

AllisaMyJoy

Asked by AllisaMyJoy at 12:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can choose to give her whole cow's milk or stick with the soy. Its really up to you. Maybe try them both?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My daughter was on soy formula and she now drinks lactose free vitamin d milk! Its whole milk without the lactose! But it honestly depends on what your child is allergic too mine is allergic to the lactose which is why she drinks lactose free but its still cows milk! Your child maybe allergic to cows milk which would mean you need to give soy milk! Hth and wasn't confusing!
    lovie04256

Answer by lovie04256 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We use Almond Milk and Rice Milk too. I don't do cow milk because it upsets my 3 yr. olds tummy. He started drinking Rice milk around 10 mo. I discovered Almond Milk when he was about 2yr. He likes both.
    keppymav27

Answer by keppymav27 at 5:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• you don't have to do any substitute milk. you can get calcium from green veggies, vitamin d from the sun, and healthy fats from nuts and avocadoes. my kids went from breast milk to water. almond rice and soy are substitutes, but watch out for sugar...i also read about hemp milk too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son was on soy formula as well, and when he turned one, I was afraid that he might be allergic to regular milk. However, per my doctors' instructions, we mixed the formula with regular whole milk and transitioned him over a week's time. He had NO problem's whatsoever. They advised to mix 2 oz of milk & 6 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then 4 oz milk & 4 oz formula for 1-2 days, then 6 oz milk & 2 oz of formula for 1-2 days, then straight 8 oz of milk. It worked great. They did advise AGAINST just switching from soy formula to milk without the transition.

I don't have a problem with cow's milk and wanted him on it if he could tolerate it because it's the most widely available.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010