breastfeeding n bottle feeding....help please!!!

my 1 month old finally got on a good schedule eating every 3 to 4 hrs but for some reason she has started back to eating every 1 n half to 2hrs...the past week i started using soothie bottles at night with formula she has been doin fine til the other night...i gave her a bottle n she cried n acted like she ddnt know how to latch on she managed to drink 2 oz of it n started freaking so i had to breastfeed her the rest...well the next day she took the bottle jut fie without any problem...but she did the same thing tonight with her bottle but she only drank an ounce so i had to breastfeed her....idk what to do y is she doing this at night n how can i get her to take her bottle at night??

doodlebug10

Asked by doodlebug10 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you giving her formula at all, especially if she prefers the breast? I would just give up the formula and breastfeed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• because she eats every 1 n half to 2hrs on the breast n by the time she finishes eating n i get her to sleep n lay her down n i get to lay down n start dozing off she's ready to eat again...its getting to be too much on me. she will take the bottle but not at night n i rather give her a bottle at night instead of during the day
    doodlebug10

Answer by doodlebug10 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• at one month old your baby is still a newborn and will be for several more months -she needs to eat on demand -babies that age need to be woken up to eat if they don't eat themselves.

I did both brf and bottle my last baby. She's eating more now than a bit ago because she's in a growth spurt - she needs to eat mommy.

Be careful or you could have a baby who's losing weight instead of gaining and at her age gain is urgent for her to survive.

You neet to adjust to her right now cuz she can't reason anything at all she's a baby!!!

Get an appointment w/yr pediatrician to understand the importance of feeding her on demand at such a young age.

This is just the start of a long time of little sleep on your part -she's going to be sleeping poorly more times than not in her baby and toddlerhoods than you can count.

Why do you want her on a bottle so bad? So you can sleep? But for some time in reality w/herage, shes m
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• well my daugther is one month old exactly today and she use 2 do the same thing 2 me

it would piss me of but sometimes babys want to get breast feed and if ur baby wont take the formula
    breastfeed for a while then try the formula it worked for me it might work for u just give it a try
    mommy1169

Answer by mommy1169 at 1:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Her eating schedule is normal, and it's likely the formula is upsetting her tummy and that will make her wake MORE.

You won't like hearing this.,..but part of the mom gig is NOT sleeping at night. You'll get eight hours again...oh...in the grave. Because even after weaning, it will ALWAYS be SOMETHING.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It's hard for everyone at first. You re just making it more difficult by bottle feeding and you can seriously affect your supply and mess up her latch. As a mother, less sleep is something you need to adapt to. I suggest learning to nurse lying down so you can learn to sleep while the baby nurses. I have my crib set up side car style right up against my be so that both the baby and I get sleep. Most nights are good, and sometimes hard. But that's motherhood and I signed up for it.

When babies go through growth spurts and major milestones, they will wake up more and eat more. That's just the way it is.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Eating that often is NORMAL for a breastfed baby who is fed on demand and especially at 1 month old and possibly going through a growth spurt and trying to get your supply to catch up to her new needs. After the growth spurt it will go back down to every 3-4 hours again. Growth spurts typically take about 1 week of intense nursing to get the supply up and then they are back to normal schedule again. Giving the formula is sabotaging your supply right now and is definitely NOT what you need. Bring her to bed with you and nurse her laying down and you will hardly wake up at night, but lack of sleep is just something moms have to deal with. Do a google search on safe cosleeping practices and start doing it if sleep is that important to you. You still have many more months of this even if you give formula so get used to it. Sorry, but that is just the way it is for us moms.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me. My son went through his first one around 6 weeks old. He has been EBF and went from eating every 2 hours to every hour. It lasted about a week and then he went back to normal. I know its hard but by trying to force her to bottle feed when that's not what she wants, is just making much more difficult for the both of you. Its much easier to just give in and nurse her and take the beating of no sleep, than to fight her on the bottle. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If you start giving bottles at this point it will decrease your milk supply. she is asking to nurse more frequently because she wants to tell your body to make more milk. Every 3-4 hours for an exclusively breastfed baby is not enough. they need to nurse a MINIMUM of 8-12 times in 24 hours. Be prepared for cluster feeding as well where they will feed several times close together, then go for a longer stretch without.
    Hang in there with the exclusive breastfeeding if you can. It may seem demanding now but ina couple more months it will be a breeze and you will be glad you don't need to prep bottles!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Also, learn to nurse lying down with your baby. It is WAY easier to breastfeed during the night than bottle feed if you can get the hang of it!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010