Do you consider groceries & gas for your vehicles as bills?

(I had to delete my original question because there was a noticeable typo and it was bugging me)

Long ago we had friends who didn't count those things as bills and they were always short on food and needed rides everywhere because they didn't have money for gas. I grew up taught by my parents that groceries, gas for for your vechicles and pet food if you have pets are bills. You NEED to eat, you NEED gas for your vehicles and if you have pets they NEED to eat. So, I have always counted those things as bills. I set the same amount aside every 2 weeks for those 3 things, the amount for each never changes. Sometimes we spend more but it's not enough over to hurt us & sometimes we go under which is like bonus money for us but generally we spend what we set aside. Does anyone else consider those necesseties as bills (in the sense that they are consistent monthly expenses), too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• A bill is a charge that you owe and must pay for the goods- I do have a gas and grocery bill once I am finished making the purchase, so technically they are a bill. Whatever you call it, it belongs on your monthly budget. I know people that do not budget and their lives are chaos... *sigh* Number one problem with money is no budget.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We don't drive much so our gas bill is only about 50 bucks every other month. We take the bus or get a ride to work, walk run what ever. So i say no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• So, what about groceries anon :06, do you consider buying groceries to be a monthly bill?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Call it a bill, or an expense but if it is a cost that you incur then it is a bill and needs to be budgeted for, just like everything else out of the paypacket. I have a friend who does this too, and she is genuinely clueless as to where her money goes. It is like a dripping tap!
    I have a set amount of money for my groceries for a fortnight, and allow an amount for petrol, and if that money has run out, I have gone over budget.
    I am interested though, what do they consider it to be, if not a bill or expense? is it entertainment, does the groceries just come from whatever is left over after all the "bills" have been paid?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We don't live month to month, so no, I do not budget for gas and groceries. I do know about how much I spend on each, and if we were tight on money I would know how much would need to be budgeted. Our gas consumption does vary though, my daughter's specialists are nearly a two hour drive away, some months she has to go three or four times in a month, that will really change how much I spend on gas that month. When I am budgeting (like when we were determining how much we could spend on a house) we did include gas and groceries as bills though. So I guess.. yes?h
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• yes I do.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• myheartx4, OP here, I know people who basically just wing it. They pay their rent or mortgage, pay their utilities, car payment and then if from what they have left they buy groceries and put gas in their vehicles but often they don't have enough money to get enough to last until the next payday. My son's ex-gf was around me enough in the 2 years they dated to pick up that those things are bills. Not long ago she and her mom sat down to work out a budget for the ex-gf and she told her mom to not forget gas and groceries and her mom told her that those weren't bills, they were extras. Eating and gas for your car are extras? Eating out, going to the movies, buying new clothes....those are extras. Having groceries and being able to drive to work or to shop is a necessity (we have no public transit around us & the ex-gf lives 30 miles from where she works so walking is out for her & for most people in our area), IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• yep, budget for monthly expenses - including gas and food :)
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 3:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• No, we don't count them as bills.
    ArianaRiRi

Answer by ArianaRiRi at 3:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I factor them in otherwise you run into exactly the problem they are having. That would stress me out.
    Butter331

Answer by Butter331 at 4:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010