Should you "Obey" God?

See. This is the main problem I have with most mainstream religions. I suppose I'm a feminist at heart. I don't believe I should be forced by any deity to do their will when it is against my own. I'm not the obeying type.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to say that many of the words associated with christianity are also those associated with slavery. Obey being one. Others include "serving", "fearing", "worshipping", "praying" (which is basically pleading with god for favors, just as a slave would do with his master), "bowing down" and "humbling" oneself before god. I don't even look at chaffing against this tyranny as feminism. I look at it as human individuality. True free will, not the fake free will as offered by god (you can choose to do this but you will be punished for it--doesn't really constitute actual free will). And the comparison with civil law is a poor one. Our govermental laws are for the benefit of all. Under constitutional freedom of speech we can say and think what we want to. Under biblical law, we cannot. To even THINK of murder or adultery is to have already committed it. It's guilty until proven innocent. Yeah, really fair! HA!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i believe in the Lord so Yes i do think that
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 6:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Here's the thing: God doesn't force you to do His will. It's your choice. Hence the word OBEY. You can choose to obey or you can choose to go your own way. Just like things don't often work out for the best for children who disobey, things don't often go well when you choose not to "obey" the Lord.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think it means that if you truly believe, his will IS your will and they obey part comes naturally.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree with you.  I'm not the obedient type.  I'm too much of a free spirit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• God will not force you to do anything. Those who love God delight in being obedient to Him. And with obedience comes blessing. Many want the blessings of God, but they want them on their own terms. God blesses folks only on His terms. With His promises come requirements for obedience, but ultimately, the choice lies with every individual.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It is a choice to try to do what it right....For example, I don't have a conflict with any of the ten commandments! If we all do right, the world is a better place for all of us and I can't believe that isn't what God would want. I am not crazy about the word "obedience" and that can be confusing. Obey blindly? That is a scary concept. I guess I don't think of it that way. I think most of the problem with religion comes when people focus on the differences rather than on the fact that all believers are trying to work through their faith and find God.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Many religious have archaic views on woman and it becomes obvious that many "rules" were written by man and not God. Use your morals and your judgment. Nothing wrong with loving your neighbor, but you should still love your neighbor if he's gay as well. All religions have some good philosophies (you need a hook), but you should always look out for the half truths and hate.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "Those who love God delight in being obedient to Him"

I completely agree with this statement by NannyB.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I couldn't obey anyone. I love my husband with all of my heart, but I do not obey him. I'm not his servant or his submissive little waif. The same would go for a deity if I believed in one.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2010