adult ear infections

So i think i have a double ear infection. I am so sick..runny nose, cough, stuffed up you know the drill and my ears are killing me. Do you think if i called the dr they would even do anything for me? I know with kids they dont really like giving anything for an ear infection. I dont want to waste the time or money to go if they arent going to do anything...lol what do you think?? Also...my son has pnemonia so do you think i should get checked? we didnt even know he was that sick. until we needed up in the hospital last week...ugh hate being sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Health

• It couldn't hurt. I know it varies by doctor. My kids are usually given antibiotics for ear infections (...... probably because ear infections are often a bacterial overgrowth. And backterial stuff is helped by antibiotics. Feel better soon.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I get ear infections kind of a lot and they always give me antibiotics so I would go in.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My kids have had many ear infections over the years and always were given antibiotics.....I am wondering why you say they won't do anything for an ear infection.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It varies by doctor, but most ear infections are NOT bacterial. Several studies have shown that it is about 50/50 split between bacterial and viral and antibiotics only treat bacterial. I personally do not do antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. For my ear infections I use breastmilk and once I am no longer nursing I will go back to using garlic oil. If you want details of either PM me. I have gotten 2 ear infections a year since the birth of my first child in 2005 and so far I have not needed antibiotics to treat them. BTW my kids don't get them just me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The worst you can do is call and ask. I always go in when I have one - but then again, I'm an adult having chronic ear infections (never had them as a kid, not til I was in high school). If you've been sick for a week and it's not getting better, it's not viral - so base it on that. If it's only been a couple days, see if you can wait it out, if it's been longer, go in. You can try a variety of things to help with the pain - I personally like to warm up sweet oil (OTC in the pharmacy area) and put a couple drops in each ear, and use a cotton ball so it doesn't run out, plus tylenol and I also use a bit of biofreeze in my jaw/ear area.
    Anonymous