do you have to add a degree when taking an underarm temp?

Motikki

Asked by Motikki at 7:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yes - when taking temp under the arm if the therm reads 100 then the temp is 101 and so on
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If I get a new thermometer, I take a temp with it when no one's sick and then however far off it is from a normal temp, that's how much I add to it. The thermometer I use always goes up to 97.2 for a normal temp, so I add 1.4 degrees when taking some ones temp. Does that make sense? lol- I'm really bad at explaining things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'm a pediatric nurse. You can add the degree in your head, for your own information, but when you tell a doctor tell him/her "the thermometer read 100.9 degrees under his arm". Don't add the degree and tell him. That confuses the issue.

And to my anonymous friend, I would not add 1.4 to it. It is perfectly possible to have a person's "normal" temp be 97.2. That 98.6 number is an average of everybody, so some people's normal can actually be 99.6. I was a nurse for 2 years before I found 10 people with a 98.6 temperature when I was taking it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I always used to, that is what we did when I worked in daycare. But when my son was in the nicu that is how they took his temperature and they never added a degree. I even asked if they added the degree when they wrote it down, thinking we took them temp, told the degree and they just added one in their heads. Nope, they didn't. So I figured if they didn't I don't need to either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My ped wants to know exactly what her temp is & how I'm taking it but she said not to worry about adding the degree. She told me that under the arm is pretty accurate, babies skin is much thinner than ours.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• ya my girls dr they are 4.5 and 2 years she also told me that if taking it under the arm I do not need to add a degree. although my 4.5 year old is learning to hold it under her tounge now
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Underarm add a degree
    Rectal subtract a degree

Not everyone has a 98.6 temp for normal. My sons runs about 97.4

You need to know what your child's "normal" temp

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010