For those of you who don't believe in God, NOT A DEBATE/Sensitive subject

If you lose a loved one, especially a child, how do you feel besides the typical crushed and destroyed inside? I mean, those who believe in God take comfort in knowing that their children are "with God" and that they will see them again "in Heaven". But if you don't believe (I don't, but would probably believe just to keep sane at the idea of seeing my child again) does that mean in your mind you'll never see your loved one again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I see my loved ones all around me. My grandmother passed this past Nov. and I was extremely close to her. I take comfort in the wind and the trees, the stars and the sun. I believe our energies never die...they just become part of the universe again....as we once were. We are of the stars afterall.
    Whenever I feel the wind or hear it through the trees, I feel my grandma....and it is a great comfort to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I believe when a loved one dies that I will not see them again. Personally, I feel that it actually helps with the grieving process by facing it head on without some illusion of seeing them at a later time. Everyone and everything that is alive dies eventually. That is the nature of life. I feel no need to cushion the blow with stories of seeing them someday in heaven. I'm strong enough to face reality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I feel the same as sahmamax2. When someone dies, their energy doesn't die, but is disbursed through the universe to be used again. Of course it hurts to lose a loved one. But I don't believe we will see them again. I have even seen a few cases where a strong belief that they will see each other again has done more damage to the survivor than help.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think you have memories and because of those memories and thoughts they are living on in away. Yes it would be heart wrenching to lose a kid, but it would make ot harder to live on (for me) to know if I could just die that I could see them again.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "I believe when a loved one dies that I will not see them again. Personally, I feel that it actually helps with the grieving process by facing it head on without some illusion of seeing them at a later time. Everyone and everything that is alive dies eventually. That is the nature of life. I feel no need to cushion the blow with stories of seeing them someday in heaven. I'm strong enough to face reality."

I gotta go with this. While I'm still slightly agnostic, meaning I don't know for 100% sure what happens after death, I tend to lean more towards the comfort of them not being ANYwhere anymore. Here's a quote by Mark Twain that I like:

"I do not fear death. I was dead for millions of years before I was born, and I didn't miss anything." (or something like that)

They live on in our memories. THAT is immortal life. As long as your loved ones remember you...you'll live forever =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Personally I feel that I will never "see" them again, but I will always be able to see them in my minds eye through memories and how they shaped my life. When you die your body decomposes, but your "soul" lives on in the people you have touched through the years and that includes children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I would see my child all the time in my heart and in my memories. I spend every day loving and cherishing my children, because I know this is the only time I get with them. If they die before I do, eventually I will be able to look back on all that time shared with joy and happiness. Wishing there to be an afterlife, doesn't make it true, and I find it nearly impossible to lie to myself, so I could never just pretend.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I feel real close to Sahmamax2 thoughts ... also knowing that the memories in a sense will keep them alive until it's time to let them go..that it is natural to want to believe in something to help you get over the pain, but life and death go hand and hand and what lives will die...
    I have lost a child, no I never thought of him ever going to heaven, tho at his funeral that is all you heard ppl say to me... I knew (but could not at the time due to emotions) that there was a reason why he was not allowed to stay with me... that reason now has since come to me..
    I also believe in rebirth, that those same energies that leave you once you die, do come back to give life to another in time...
    JFYI... I do believe in many Gods, but do not use them for comfort in something that is natural tho hard to accept at times as death no matter how short or long that person had with us... to me there is no heaven to meet up at later on...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• That's why you're supposed to make the most of life while you're here. Love and respect each other, create wonderful memories and cherish in your heart the times you spend together. I don't believe in heaven, but I do believe we are all energy and after we die, that energy remains and becomes part of the natural world around us- so they are still here.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I've never heard of anyone ever saying close to oh well my child, my husband, wife, sister -whoever- just died unexpectedly or known death but hey it's ok they're with God let's make a cake and clap our hands finally they're with God-

I'm not bashing you but I know I'm saying how a lot of moms I know who have been through loss have felt during it and for some time afterwards.

I believe in God and I know lots of my friends who are agree with me that believing in God when it comes to the horror of a death of a child (and some of my friends have lost children in accidents), we believe we will see our child someday in Heaven.
    And that over time comforts us. But very rarely does it comfort immediately ever.

People who don't believe in God, a higher power of what ever name, believe the deceased won't be seen again cuz there's no heavenly place after death.

Constantly I question God's plans because they're not alway my hopes.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010