What are reasons you owe the IRS

I filed my taxes with H and R and got back my return but it said the irs took 1500 of it I have no clue as to why they took it or anything the only thing i can think of is a year or 2 ago when i worked somewhere they had my wrong SSN for a couple of months so what are some reasons to owe the IRS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You made a certain amount of income, and you didn't have enough taxes taken out.

If you earn an income, you pay a percentage of taxes on it! If you paid too much, you get back what you "overpaid." If you did not pay enough, you have to pay the IRS what you should have paid them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• there were some changes this year in the taxes. If you noticed on your paystubs, this year your employer actually took out less money for taxes. Most people did not realize this and are now complaining that they aren't getting similar refunds to last years but are failing to recognize that they got more money each paycheck.

like Lori said, your employer send part of every paycheck to the IRS to pay your taxes. If they did not withhold for the income bracket you are in, you end up owing the IRS money. If your employer withholds too much, you get a refund.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My fil said he owes some because he has never changed his amount of dependents so too much was being taken out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Whoops, I met not enough was taken out.
    Anonymous

• If you owe money to someone else they can put a lein on your tax refund and get it back that way , esp the local gov.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2010