I think my 9 year old has lice....help

I have three children and I must say we have been lucky about lice. My oldest is 14 and we've not dealt with lice before. My son spent the night with his friend and a few days later he has itchy bumps around his neck and hair line. The school nurse checked and said that she didn't see lice. Last night he ask me to check his head again and I found 3 tiny things that were moving. I assume lice. Should I treat all of us, what do I get. Please any suggestions....thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We just had our first go 'round with head lice a few months ago. We got RID kits. It has the shampoo, combs, nit gel and house spray. I treated everyone in our house, except the baby. I bagged up all the stuffed animals. Got new pillows. Sprayed her matress with the house spray. Vacuumed the mattress and carpets. Don't forget to treat the couch, chairs and your car and his carseat if he has one. Just keep looking everyday until you don't find anything. Follow the directions on the bottle of shampoo and retreat a week later. Best of luck to you. I am itching so bad now!! :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I caught lice at school when I was in 5th grade and I remember what a nightmare it is to get rid of. Yes, treat ALL of your children. You may even choose to treat yourself and husband as well. Wash all of the bedding in HOT water, including pillows and then vacuum off the mattresses. The main reason so many people have trouble getting rid of lice is that they treat just themselves and leave the bedding alone and then get reinfested when they go to bed. Be sure to wash the bedding that's in your linen closet as well since you'd be unsure if it were exposed to the lice.

Back in the day my mom treated me with the RID kit and it is quite effective, but you will need to do it twice (it kills live lice but not the eggs). So treat with RID, comb out all of the eggs, then in about 5 days treat with RID again. There are newer lice remedies out now that may be just as effective. There is an all natural non-toxic alternative.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• But I'm unfamiliar with the newer ones and not sure how well they work.

I do know that there is a machine that blows out air, much like a hair dryer, but it kills the lice on the spot. Some schools are purchasing this machine and use it to treat students since it is a non-toxic drug free option. It may be worth looking into whether this machine is available in your area.

Also, since lice can live in your carpet, furniture, curtains, etc. I would advise treating your whole home with bug bombs. RID makes lice bombs for your house. I remember my mom and dad planing a day out for the family (lunch, zoo, movie, then supper out) while we had the RID bombs going off in the house.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I use to deal with head lice very frequently. My daughter would come home with it quite a bit from school. I finally figured out that the girl sitting behind her was giving it to her purposely. After she moved away the head lice stopped. The best method I like to use is tea tree oil. I use this on the whole family. It costs about 7.00 a bottle and goes a long way. Pair it with olive oil or whatever oil you use. I usually use 1/4 cup of oil to 1/4 bottle of tea tree oil. Not only does it kill the lice but the nits come off very easy and it makes the hair very soft and shiny. After you use the tea tree oil, add a few drops to you childrens' shampoo and wash normally. Lice do not like the smell and will stay away. Do not use RID or NIX it might work some but they usually come back because lice are immune to the chemicals in it. Both children have been free of bugs for 2 years now.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 7:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2010