Benefits of breastfeeding-Risks of formula feeding

It bugs the hell out of me when I see "the benefits of breastfeeding". Breastfeeding in the natural, normal, way to feed a baby. Breastmilk will always be superior to formula. I really think that instead of "benefits to breastfeeding" it should be touted "risks of not breastfeeding" or "risks of artificial feeding". I think more people moms would try to breastfeed, especially younger moms. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yup. also think if more moms realized what the chemicals that are in formula are also used for they might think twice. rocket fuel's not something i want in my baby. as i type this w/ 1 hand i'm also nursing my daughter!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Nestle et al spent so much time and $$ marketing formula that now we have to market breast feeding. Stupid, yes.

It would be nice if words like artificial and synthetic were used to describe foods that are meant to replace natural food sources. Like with artificial sweeteners. Many of the ingredients in formula are synthesized in a lab.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Its just that we have had huge formula campaigns in America for the last 2 generations, to the point where doctors were influenced. We have to bring the public around. Formula should be for medical intervention and if the mother is just working too hard to be there(hey life happens). To make formula the go-to normal practice is just wasteful, unnecessary and inferior. On the bright side I think breastfeeders will continue to rise. Just 8 years ago I thought it was gross. Thank God that was before I had kids.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Cauliflower makes a great gift!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• get over it. do what you feel is best for you and your family and stop judging other people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Did I say anything bad about formula feeders? No. Learn to read. You can not deny that formula feeding is risky. If you think so, your child has worse problems than being formula fed. He has a mother who doesn't know how to use her brain. How's that for judgment?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Absolutely. The problem is the risks are said as "benefits" - instead of saying "Your baby may be sicker" it says "Babies that are breast-fed are sick less often" .. It should be clearer. I am always shocked that people think that the risks of formula are just "breastfeeding propaganda" that it is all false information spread around to villify formula feeding and make women feel guilty for their choices. The risks are plain as day and listed off by the APA, WHO, and several other reliable locales, wording aside - not just on pro-breastfeeding sites. It's not like we're telling them the information to make them feel guilty. It is so they are armed with good information to pass on to the next generation and to give to other mothers who are contemplating breast feeding or trying to breast feed. Folks need to stop being so defensive and start feeling irritated that good information is overshadowed by TRUE propaganda.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Get over what? She thinks that formula should not be marketed the way it is. She wants it marketed TRUTHFULLY. Why is that a bad thing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OP-Thanks JamesandMe, you said exactly what I was thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2010