Caught with Drugs

My 16 yr old cousin just recently was caught on the campus of his school with marijuana, packaged for resale and of course was expelled from school and is being charged with a felony unless his lawyer can get it knocked down to a misdemeanor. No one in our family has ever been in trouble with the law, and I am so worried about both him and my aunt. My question is, what can I do for them to help them in this difficult time? I am not a lawyer or anything and both of my kids are very young (3 yrs old and 2 months old) so I dont really know what to even say to her. I am so upset that such a bright young boy (athelete and all around good kid) is in such a predicament, and I dont know how he even put himself there or why! It isnt like he needed the money. That being said, what can I do myself to prevent it from happening to my kids? I have nightmares of me not being able to get through to my kids where drugs are concerned.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There are many things your cousin can do to make his situation better. He can go to alcohol/drug abuse counseling or rehab to show that he is serious about changing his ways. He can stay away from the people that may have got him involved in the drug scene. He can take online courses and get good grades. This does not mean his life is over, but he has to make an effort to change because NO ONE can make the change for him. He is the only one that can do so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Be there to support your Aunt, but your cousin has made a very adult decision in selling drugs at school and has a set of punishements that he'll have to deal with. Actions like that have very strict consequences and he'll just have to deal with it.
    How to prevent your children from doing that? Be open and honest, keep the lines of communication open.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely, keep communication open, know where they are and with whom all of the time. If you can manage it, make your house the hang-out spot for the kids/friends, so they are home and you can keep your eye on them.

Do not think your cousin is doomed. My son was in some trouble when he was 16, and he's 19 now, all clean and doing very well. Hug your aunt for me. j
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The best thing you can do is let the law handle this and nobody in the family try to intervene. This is a wonderful opportunity for all the children in the family to watch and learn that there are consequences for our bad choices in life. If anyone tries to get the charges reduced or to intervene in any way, the lesson all will learn is that we can do as we please and someone will bail us out and take care of it for us. Tell your children the truth about drugs and tell them that they have a choice in whether or not they will become involved with them. Tell them if they do, you will let them answer to authorities higher than you. Tell them you will do everything within your power to help them stay away from drugs but that if they choose to go against your advice that you will not be helping them beat the rap. Involved parenting is your first line of defense. If they choose to do it anyway, let them suffer the pain!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2010