Do you stock your pantry for a "rainy day" so you won't have to rely on a food bank or food stamps if money ran short in your house?

I read an article today about the food banks not having enough food. The food bank in my home town has seen an 80% increase in demand in the past year!! That's HUGE!

It got me thinking...if something happen and we suddenly didn't have money for groceries I have enough in the cabinet and freezer to last us a good 2 weeks and then I would still have things like dry beans and other things that we would only eat if we were completely out of everything else that would last us another 2 weeks.

The reason I have this is because when I go to the grocery store I always pick up one extra item. Last week it was a pound of ground turkey, the week before that...a can of carrots, the week before that...a package of pasta. I usually try to go with something that's going to cost less than 2 dollars. That way if a "rainy day" happens we'll be ok.

Do you do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, but I always have extras of the "staples" in my pantry or refrigerator - flour, sugar, bread, eggs, potatoes, onions, canned milk, dried beans, peanut butter, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yes, I do. Growing up, we often went to bed hungry-- not enough money or food in the house to feed ourselves. SO I tend to hoard food-- I know that, if money ran short, we'd have enough to last. Unfortunately, we had to eat that stock of food a couple of weeks ago-- no money for groceries, but my family ate. And that's what matter.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If I had the extra cash to do that. That would be great. so right know. Nope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my church is a big on this. Food storage. There are groups on cafemom on it too. also type in food storage calculator" on google and it'll help you figure out excactully how much food u need
    Anonymous

• I stock up when things are on sale. I might buy 20 cans, or 15 pounds of meat, if the sale is really great. At any given time, we have enough food to last at least a month.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i dont get any assistance but when bills have been paid and when dh gets his check i do the ok i do have to pay this...and this leaves me x amont..but next week i have to pay this and that so i try to buy what we need and certin things on sale..we have a spareroom that i do like to have stocked..like tiolet paper, paper towels, cleaning stuff, soup, water, can veggies, juice. dh laughs and says....geeze u waiting for the end of the world..cause i think your ready. i see it as we have kids and bills and a car payment so if its a tight week and i cant go to the store its ok i have enough for our needs. and when our town does a mailman pick up for like can goods i will try and have something out.but when i can i do stock up. even ketsup and mustard and bbq sauce ( we go camping alot. ) and when i have things in stock its easy..i dont have to run out and buy it. dh is like do we have ketsup in stock..when do u do inventory lol..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If I could I would, but I scrape by being able to buy what we need, nothing left over.
    But it is a good idea.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have an overstocked pantry and freezer we live in an area that has frequent snow so we need to always have extra supplies in case we have a storm that keeps us trapped in the house. If my husband lost his job tomorrow we have enough funds to last us many years would suck since that is for our retirement but we would not need to go to the food bank. With what I have in my two pantries, freezers and my housewe have enough to feed us for a month. We would run out of fresh produce but I have plenty of produce I canned or froze so we have more than enough if something crazy happened and my husband lost his job and all our money just disappeared. My husbands family or my own would help if we were in that much trouble. We tend to do that for each other.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I too have an overstock pantry. Mainly because I like to bargain shop. I have managed to cut my grocery bill down to $75/month for a family of 4 and 2 dogs all by coupons, bargain shopping, and having an overstock pantry...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I don't but I think that's a great idea. Even if you buy a bag of dry beans or can of whatever is on sale thats just pennies extra each grocery trip. So not having enough money isn't really an excuse unless you are already at the food bank.
    I have a small box for items to GO the the food pantry but I've never actually thought about stocking up for myself. Nice post.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010