Pregnant "man" and hormonal side effects to his children - risks worth the reward?

"Most trans-gender people cannot have children. The hormones should have prevented a pregnancy from taking place. Although he stopped taking hormones two years ago in order to try for a child, usually the effects of those hormones are permanent, so the fact that is was possible at all is remarkable."

http://infertility.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_worlds_first_pregnant_man

Do you think that knowing you've been on YEARS of artificial hormones you should risk having a baby? What about the baby's future and puberty? Do they have any info about the safety of this?

Do you think it is ethical for doctors to prescribe hormones and allow IVF, like in Ruben Coronado's case? She went through years of hormone replacement during her sex change and just had twins via IVF.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/03/21/2009-03-21_woman_undergoing_sex_change_to_become_ma.html

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know. There are many women that have issues with fertility, they also take drugs to help get pregnant. I don't know the long term effects on the children that are born who's mother's went through fertility treatments, but having kids of my own, I can say that the reward is wonderful. I am in no place to tell someone else that their risk isn't worth the reward, I think that's a personal choice and they will be the one's to live with their decisions and consequences of those decisions. I am not particularly religious, but I do believe that one day we all answer for our actions. I will answer for mine, and others will answer for theirs. It's really none of my business.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think they are risking too much. I think that they should have babies BEFORE all this medical change to their bodies, or they should adopt. It is a very selfish act what they are doing. Hello? Buying a syringe from a VET and inseminating yourself after YEARS of hormones? How do they know it is safe? what is wrong with people????? Yet, she gets praises for being a pioneer in the homo- and trans- community? She is an idiot and putting many people through a risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think those people need to figure out which gender they want to be. I also think they choose to do this for attention. If a woman really wanted to become a man, they wouldn't go through the hormone replacements and then decide to have a baby. I don't even think it should be allowed. You can't just jump back and forth from gender to gender. It really irritates me when they refer to them as "pregnant men" NO. WOMEN have babies. WOMEN not MEN, have uteruses. If you can even conceive a child, via IVF or any other means you are a WOMAN.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree to a point QuinnMae, but fertility hormones that WORK WITH or ASSIST pregnancies are very different than hormones that give you facial hair and manly muscles and physique. These transgendered people are chemically trying to rid their bodies of being female and then turning around and having babies - something very unnatural and seems to me like could affect the child's composition in the long run.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "These transgendered people are chemically trying to rid their bodies of being female and then turning around and having babies - something very unnatural and seems to me like could affect the child's composition in the long run."

clapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Coronado - who lives as a man but is still considered a woman under Spanish law - might sell the pictures that "everyone's going to want of me looking pregnant."

"If I don't do it, someone else will and they'll make a fortune," the expectant "dad" told London's Daily Telegraph.

Coronado went public "so people start to see a transsexual pregnancy as normal," the paper said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/03/21/2009-03-21_woman_undergoing_sex_change_to_become_ma.html#ixzz265CdA1zF

Doin it for the attention/money. And HELLO! Transexual pregnancy IS NOT NORMAL! OMG. These people truly have something wrong with them! Transexual pregnancy will never be NORMAL. It may be common, it may be "accepted" but it will NEVER, EVER, be normal. Women get pregnant, pregnant women are natural and normal. Period.
    Anonymous

• No, they should not risk it. She should have had children before she started trying to change her gender isntead of changing horses in midstream. And it is unethical for a doctor to have helped her do this but too many doctors are so damn money hungry they'll do anything. If people wnat to have a sex change operation, I could not care less but a little common sense should be involved somewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Sick. I feel sadly for their children. Those poor babies, growing up with parents who think this is okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Doin it for the attention/money. And HELLO! Transexual pregnancy IS NOT NORMAL! OMG. These people truly have something wrong with them! Transexual pregnancy will never be NORMAL. It may be common, it may be "accepted" but it will NEVER, EVER, be normal. Women get pregnant, pregnant women are natural and normal. Period.

Ditto.
    Anonymous

• No, it is NOT ethical for doctors to do this. (IMHO) I believe it is all for fame and money. If they wanted children, they should adopt. We'll never know what the hormones will do to these kids until they reach puberty or try to have babies themselves. Sad.
    What if the female kids cannot menstruate because of the residual hormones? What if the male kids grow up like they've been on steroids because of an increase in testosterone? We'll never know, but it is a risk that should be avoided. adopt or wait for the sex change till after kids. This just shows you HOW messed up in the head that these people really are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2010