False labor? Early labor? So confused!

I'm 39wks. For the last 2 days I've been having lots of contractions that are pretty regular and sometimes quite painful but then they just stop after a few hours. Then they come back a few hours later. Then they stop. So on.. We're sick of playing the "Is this it?!" game lol. I've also had a LOT of mucous discharge in the past 24hrs and I get the chills and can't stop shivering. Does this sound like I'm slowly working on the real deal? Has anybody else been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you are probably in the very early stages of labor, but don't go to the hospital until your contractions are regular and less than 5 minutes apart, or if your water breaks. good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i do feel for you having to go through this "is it it?" like you said, but unfortunately it's impossible to tell. you could go on and off like this for the next couple of weeks, or you could have your baby tonight. i'm sorry, i know it's frustrating. try to relax as much as you possibly can. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It sounds like you might be, but this can go on for days-weeks.
    It might be helpful to become distracted and not pay as much attention. Your excitement may be "extinguishing" progress.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i am 40 weeks and 1 day and i have been experiencing the same thing... i think we're just getting ready for the day..
    Anonymous