Does anyone know anything about online college classes?

I am interested in taking some online classes and wanted to know if anyone has any info. Like which organizations offer the best deals and can I take only online classes or are they gonna have to be mixed with classes in a school environment? Any info is welcome. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in

• it depends on what college you decide to go to. some campuses allow it to be online only, while others require some classes to be taken in class. i went with university of phoenix and i did everything online. as for the best deals, i would go with one in your state where you can get the residency discount.
    svalle

Answer by svalle at 11:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I got my MS online only, and never had to attend a regular class.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• currently my husband is taking online only courses. he doesnt have to go to a campus for anything. you just have investigate the different schools and see what they offer. good luck.
    Jamie1972

Answer by Jamie1972 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Different schools have different policies. I went to school and had some of my classes online, but not all. It worked out well for me, because I could attend classes while my kids were in school, but still take some extra ones after they were in bed. Just make some phone calls.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I attend Central Texas College. It is a brick and mortar school (and accredited) with a strong online component.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I got my Associates Degree through a local community college but did almost all the classes online. Now I go to a University that offers some classes nearby and I take others online. It's no picnic, a LOT of extra work. Makes in class classes look like easy street
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I started looking into Online Classes a few years ago, I heard about Colorado Technical University (CTU). Their prices were lower than most online universities and they offer a flexible schedule. The tuition includes the books and materials for the courses and their accredited, so the credits can be transferred if I decide to go someone else. When you start your search, first check out the Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/students/prep/college/diplomamills/index.html) to see if the schools you've selected are credible. There are a number of "Diploma Mill" schools out there looking for a quick buck and keep an eye on your school loans, they can be tricky.
    Sdaniels77

Answer by Sdaniels77 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2010