If you gave your child the same "free will" that God gives you...

Wouldn't you still love them when they didn't go with your rules?

Or would you tell them "Here's your free will, do whatever you choose, but here are my rules, you have to listen to them or face eternal pain"

How is it really free will if you are facing hell for not going with what he says??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is a very good question, just like the condition you must have in order to be loved, the all too famous, "love the sinner hate the sin" when in fact one and the other is as much a part of the person as their face!

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'm not sure that question could be a reality. Every person of an older age, a teen to a younger child - a parent to a neighbor's child being watched - a parent to their own child - a 2nd grader playing with a kindergarten sibling - every age has rules like I did from my elders like you did from someone (a favorite teacher who mentored you, a beloved aunt, a friend's mom who nurtured you) every one has rules from someone who is their elder.

Kids without mentoring or nurturing more often grow up to be disrespectful. Even parents in bad lives, bad neighborhoods set rules for their kids to get out of a bad environment.

I believe in God and that free will was given to guide ourselves and our loved ones to a peaceful Heaven through as much selfrespect and compassion for others not free will given to God's world of his children young and old to purposefully hurt others may the best one win - wham the winner gets heaven.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Its a very responsible thing to teach your child right from wrong. Lets not confuse daily bad decision making with free will. Free will is to be respected and it is a gift. But, lol, I dont go around telling my kids they are going to hell.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It is like telling your child not to touch the hot stove, if they touch the stove they get burned. It is not that you don't love them any less but they are still going to be hurt and suffer the pain of not listening.
    That is how our free will works with God's rules.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• When we teach out children about choices that is having free will to choose. Lets say I tell my teen age son not to go to this party because i know there is alcohol and drugs invovled, they have the free will to choose to obey or disobey. They disobey and get caught. Will I still love my child, yes very much, but I will not ever love the choice they made.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• of course I would love them if they didn't follow my rules but there are also consequences to not following my rules. God loves all his children even those that don't follow the rules.

My son has the option of staying out past curfew. If he does he will not go out the next weekend. He has the free will to break curfew but there will be a consequence.

how is that not free will?
    Anonymous

• Ah! You will still love them, but would you condemn them to an eternity of suffering and pain because of the choices they made? Say they did stay out all night and participated in a drunken orgy, would you tie them to a chair and stab them over and over until they died as punishment?

I don't see how any loving, good and kind God would punish his creation in that manner simply because they refused to believe in him or love him. Sounds like an angry, needy, juvenile, tyrannical, egotistical psychotic to me.

You say God has a plan and yet you turn around and say everyone has free will. You can't have both... or else your saying your God knew head of time he'd have to send you to hell for the choices he allowed you to think you made and he was just peachy keen with that idea.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• God does not teach that you will go to hell for not following His rules. You go to hell by not accepting Christ. Christ has already paid the price for our sins. All you have to do is acknowledge that fact and accept the gift He has given. Salvation has nothing to do with rules.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You can't have both...

YES I CAN, and you can to if you trust and love in him.
    Anonymous

• I don't go around telling my kids they are going to hell. But I do have rules in the house. The kids have to free will to choose to follow the rules and reap the rewards or ignore the rules and suffer the consequences. It's a simple matter of teaching right from wrong and works the same with God. We have the free will to do as we wish, does that make it right? Not necessarily. If we chose to do something wrong would we suffer the consequences of those actions? Absolutely. Works the same for heaven. We strive to be our best and obey God's rules and we will gain the reward of heaven. If we choose to break the rules, we will suffer in hell.
    Anonymous