What do you think of this school policy?

The public schools in our county have a policy that says if you send out party invitations that you must give invitations to all the children in the class or you are not permitted to hand out invitations on school grounds. The school will not give you last names of the children or the contact information of the parents for you to send invitations outside of school.
What do you think of this policy? Isn't it teaching unrealistic social expectations and not teaching them the realities of social disappointments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in

• You can invite all girls only, or all boys only. I think it is great to include everyone. My daughter was new to the school last year and would have been left out if that wasn't the rule. It's the right thing to do.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• How old are the kids? I could maybe see it if they were really small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think its a good idea. Social disappointment? You think there isnt enough of that? You must have been one of the popular kids, eh? Well, I wasnt. I was the one who never got invited to anything. I was the one who stood off to the side while all the other girls were excited to be invited to yet another b-day party. If you don't know your children's friends well enough to know their last names & there they live, then why are you inviting them to a party? Oh I know..presents right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• No, when you send out invites they go to everyone in the class both boys and girls. There is no exception.

Anonymous

• How about teaching yours kids to be kind, considerate human beings?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Why would you want to be invited to a party where they kids don't like you anon? Sounds pretty dumb to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It's a stupid policy and thank god our school doesn't do that. I wouldn't want to have to pay for all these kids that aren't friends with my dd. Life is full of disappointments. It's stupid to teach kids that life is fair when it isn't.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Anon :16...um yeah as an adult you can say that...and I can understand that NOW....but as a kid of 8 or 10 its different. You must realize that?!?!
    Anonymous

• I dont think you should have to invite everyone in the class BUT you also should not be handing out invites at school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "fair" & "polite" are not the same thing. being socially gracious is a skill to be learned as well as learning that life is not "fair".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010