my almost 22 month old continues to say oh no over and over ..i know it might be fun but she says it loud and annoyed constantly? how do i deter this behavior for good...i can distract her, ask her to say other words ..etc. but she reverts back and says it where ever we go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter typically just repeats what she's heard from me because she spends so much time with me. I started saying "uh oh" every time I or she dropped something and now she does the same.
    Maybe if you or whomever is saying that around her completely stops saying, she'll gradually get out of the habit as she gains more vocabulary. In the meantime also continue introducing new words to her. You never know which ones will become her new favorite words.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Stop giving her attention. It is hard to do; but if you can't divert her attention from the phrase, then stop giving her attention for it. Eventually it will fizzle out (if your nerves don't fizzle out first).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Um I'm failing to see the issue here. Most toddlers who have just begun to speak, will repeat words they know over and over again. I don't really know what to tell you. She's not doing anything wrong so for you to try and stop her from saying OH NO just because you are annoyed by it, seems pretty ridiculous to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• maybe she likes to rhyme. try saying two words to her that ryme "cop-pop" ect
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 11:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I HARDLY EVER SAY nO TO HER...?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• SHE KNOWS SO MANY OTHER WORDS THATS WHY I AM CONCERNED AND YELLS :oh noooooooooo INAPPROPRIATELY TO EVERYTHING...AND I FOR THE RECORD IOBARELY EVER SAY NO TO HER.....SHE SEEMS UPSET FOR NO REASON AND EVEN AFRAID TO PLAY AND BE AROUND CHILDREN HER AGE..I'M JUST CONCERNED..THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE EXCEPT TO ANSWER # 3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Maybe you should talk to her on her terms. Sometimes that can help. She may not have many words that she can say, but she knows how to listen. Just use simple terms and see if you can figure out what is going on in her own little world. She might internally feel like there is something wrong. Kids at that age are in a world all their own.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I see your concern mom. Some of those things sound a bit autistic to me. But she is SOOOO young.

I know this is easier said than done, but relax....let it go for a few weeks. If you are still concerned mention it to your pediatrician.

By the way my dd has mild autism ;) message me if you want
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Sounds like normal toddler behavior, especially if she has noticed it gets your attention more than any other words... :-)
    The only issue I see is her "disobiedience". So if the problem is, she's not listening to you, tell her "no" or slap her hand or what else you normally do when she does not listen to you.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 1:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• lol thats kinda funny my tod says hot about everything. he points and says hot. goofy tods.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 1:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010