Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do any of you girls know any thing about this. own back state tax

we did our taxes last wk. we are getting back money on our state and federal. but we still owe back taxes on our state from yr 2007. but i am making monthly payments to the state to get it paid off.
we are getting money back this yr on our federal can the state take our federal refund becasue we still owe money to the state yet? just wondering if this every happened to any of you or you know of any one that had this happened. thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • only if the state has put in a judgement against you, they can take taxes to pay taxes or to pay student loans and other things. however, if you are on a payment plan more than likely they wont do that bc you are trying to pay them yourself.

    Answer by angevil53 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

  • Actually even if your on a payment plan they can and usually will put a judgement on you (i went through this) you should have recieved a notice if they did. Once they have taken it you can apply to have your penalties and interest reduced. If you want to know for sure call the person who manages your case and talk to them. Having a good line of communication with them is the best way to get it all cleared up.

    We had this happen when all our records were destroyed in a house fire, the state was really good about working with us even though we owed and in the end they removed the penalties and interest which make a huges difference.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.