Bayh:Another one bites the dust?

Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh will announce this afternoon that he won’t be running for reelection, two senior Democratic sources told POLITICO.

Bayh, who served two terms as governor of Indiana before winning election to the Senate in 1998, was favored to win another term this November. A poll last week showed him leading two of his prospective opponents, former Republican Sen. Dan Coats and former Rep. John Hostettler, by wide, double-digit margins.

In prepared remarks reported by the Indianapolis Star, Bayh said his desire to serve in Congress "has waned."

"Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for reelection," Bayh said in the remarks. "But running for the sake of winning an election, just to remain in public office, is not good enough."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Democrats may look to Reps. Baron Hill and Brad Ellsworth or former Democratic National Committee Chairman Joe Andrew as potential replacement candidates for Bayh, officials said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32971.html#ixzz0fcfOZBFT

why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I do not think being a Democrat is going to pan out for career Democrats come November! MANY of the incumbents are seeing the writing on the wall, and getting out while they are still on top of their game! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "Bayh said his desire to serve in Congress 'has waned.'"

They do say you should get out of a job when it's ceased being something you like. I think this is good. Politics shouldn't be a lifetime career, no matter WHAT your party.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I drive through Indiana a LOT.... There are these billboards and similar ones like it EVERYWHERE

http://donotletevanbayhkilljobs.com/

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Could be planning a run for 2012 this does not necessarily mean he is pushing politics off for good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Until I moved out of Indiana I liked Bayh and voted for him as gov twice.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• This makes me a little nervous. It could mean two things, either he won't support Reid / Pelosi / Obama and Reid will be pulling support for Bayh, or he is willing to make a radical vote against his constituency request to vote against the sham of a health care bill this administration is pushing. I suppose we will see in the coming months.

Anonymous

• I know Mr. Bayh and he is upset that the progressives have taken over the democrat party.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Whatever his reason it's a good thing as long as Conservatives make sure a good candidate is there to run in his place. We don't want to replece him with worse
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Nates progressives are liberals but maybe just a bit more radical is all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2010