How Much Would You Pay For A Book Of Meal Plans For The Year With Recipes?

I'm thinking of putting my one and only talent, which is cooking, to use during these tough economic times. I'm wanting to poll moms to see if it would be worth my efforts.

There is a company that will publish my book at no cost to me, they just take a cut from each book someone buys. This means I don't get to choose the price, so I really need to know if any moms would buy this.

The book would include a weekly meal plan, complete with recipes and grocery list, for the entire year, plus 10 breakfast recipes you can rotate on the weekends, plus meal ideas for babies & toddlers.

The book would be $15.00 in print and $13.99 as an ebook.

Please let me know if this would be something that would interest any of you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sounds like you have thought of practical ideas, BUT, there are so many different kinds of recipe books out there, and free recipes that can be printed out on line, I'm not really sure there would be a "niche" market for something like that! Maybe if you could target a SPECIFIC audience that NO ONE else has thought of, you would have a good selling product, but I'm not so sure that is the case right now?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• This is already being done by http://www.menus4moms.com/menuplanning.php

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OP - Thank you for the link. The Busy Moms Meals is similar to what I'm wanting to do. However, my book would be for the year and cost the same as only 2 months of membership with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OP - Sure, there are cookbooks out there with recipes. That doesn't stop companies from creating more cookbooks each year.

I'm not asking whether this has been done before, I'm asking if moms would be interested in 52 weeks worth of meal plans with recipes and grocery lists for $15 or $13.99 for the ebook.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• No - my kids are such picky eaters that I have a short list of meals that satisfy everyone and I just rotate them. If we get bored, I'll pick a recipe out of the books I already have, or one from a magazine, to try out. Not for my family, but lots of luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Not for me, either. I try to create meals based on what's in season and what's on sale.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. And why do you have every word capitalized? Not necessary.
    Anonymous

• In all honesty I wouldn't pay for a recipe book like that. I can get all the recipes I want online for free or even go to Barnes and Noble and look in a cookbook and copy it down for free without buying the book. ebooks..I once bought a pack of 500 ebooks for $8, included were about 100 ebooks of recipes, many contained 500+ recipes...so basically I already have 10,000-50,000 recipes on my computer....how many have I actualy looked at and used? Maybe 3.

There are publishing companies out there that will publish anything, without proper channels of contracts and editors, because they will publish anything knowing you really won't sell anything. A real publisher would buy the book from you, send you a check, then you'd earn royalties and such and be hired to write more.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• being a mom without a lot of free time I would love the idea of opening a book and finding what the menu would be for the next 2 weeks without thinking about it. Makes things so much easier and yes I would pay $15.00
    Anonymous

• OP - Thank you anon. You really get what I'm wanting to do. It's more about the meal planning than the recipes. I know recipe books are a dime a dozen. My book will have meal plans laid out a week at a time and include easy to follow recipes and grocery lists...great for busy moms. I know of sites that do this via weekly email newsletters, but most of them over charge. Plus, I would prefer a whole book of weekly plans so I can mix and match to suit my family's tastes.
    Anonymous