Should we really teach the controversy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwRYrKT7_jU&feature=player_embedded

It's only two minutes long.

What do you think? Should schools really teach the controversy? And if you think yes, which controversies should be taught? Can my creation story be taught alongside yours?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think anything religious should be taught in PUBLIC school. If you want religious instruction of any kind, go to a religious school. I teach my children about all religious beliefs, despite the fact that my dh and I are atheist. It's my job as their parents to teach about personal beliefs, not the school.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The problem with not teaching something just because its religious is that you assume none of the religious information/history is backed by scientific research. I think anything backed by anthropologists, archaeologists and other scientific research should be taught in schools regardless of its religious or non-religious base. To think otherwise is close minded and will keep you from the truth, no matter what that is.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Some religious information should be taught in history class because religion is an important part of world history. It helps us understand many cultures around the world.

I teach my children my own religious beliefs at home,  I don't need the school to, I feel school should be for academics, unless you are in a private school.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I am all for teaching children about religion, in say a world religion class, or even a history class. But it does not belong in the science class room.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I am all for teaching children about religion, in say a world religion class, or even a history class. But it does not belong in the science class room

~~~~~~

I agree religion is more about faith then science.  Any science connection you want to teach your children, such as intelligent design, should be taught in maybe in philosophy class, at home or at a private religious school. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I always thought the "teach the controversy" slogan for teaching creationism alongside evolution didn't make sense. There is no controversy about the basics of the scientific theory of evolution - it's one of the best supported scientific theories we have.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I don't think anyone should be forced to teach anything that they don't believe in. If I were king, I'd leave the whole issue until college. There is so much in science that isn't covered due to lack of time, that this really shouldn't be an issue, IMO.
    Anonymous

• while i agree that religious instruction belongs at home i do think it should be at least mentioned that all the scientific theories are just that thories and that there is also a theory of intelligent design . i do get tired of the schools teaching thoery as fact. my sons school work dosen't say what do scientist believe happened it says this is what happened. and since no one can prove it it is not fact. it is best guess and should be taught as that
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 5:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2010