Can a doctor tell how far along you are without an ultrasound?

The reason I am asking is because I am pregnant with my 2nd but I don't think I am quite a month yet, I tested back in January and it was negative. We have been ttc, so when I was late this month I took one on the 12th and it was a BFP! So I am thinking I am maybe like 2 -3 weeks along. I know my doctor doesn't do ultrasounds unless we think there might be soemthing wrong. Well he does perform ultrasounds but not until 19 -20 weeks. So I was wondering can they tell just by checking you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They can check by the size of your uterus and your fundal height, but it's not as accurate as an ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• They can tell by feeling your uterus a general idea but not exact. Even scans arent always exact. They usually just go by what dates you give them. And technically you cant say you are 2 weeks pregnant because you cant even get a pos. test till you are close to or missing yours period which puts you at about 4 to 5 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• if you're under 5 months (20 wks) they can't tell by measuring, they can tell with a blood test ACCURATELY if it's under 12 weeks.
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 11:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• They can basically guesstimate by feeling your uterus and by the first date of your last period but an ultrasound is definitely much more accurate. For example, the first date of my last period put my due date at August 18th but when I got my first ultrasound, my due date changed to August 9th. I had my son on the 8th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• A blood test will not accurately tell you how far along you are. They will base it off the first day of your last period. That is the best they can do without an ultrasound. If the date of your last period is inconsistent with how far along you appear to be, then they may do a dating ultrasound to get a better idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• They will go by when your last period is and that will be how far along you are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• thats odd. At my first apt with each doc they did an internal to see the baby and heart beat, and see how far along I was
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I never had any ultrasounds with my pregnancies ~as is the norm for most moms around the world/through out history. ;-)

Checking your fundus and palpating belly is a common way~ not necessarily accurate, but can be sufficient!

Since we are due for a period of a month or so, the exact date is still just the mid-point of a longer time frame, anyhow.

With my last baby, I picked my due date (out of a 3-week range option) because I was unsure of conception. It was fine! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• they can guess, & with the ultrasound it's just a guess too :) none of us really know when to expect our babies, well within a 4-6 week window only, so you are in the same boat. =) CONGRATS!!
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 by:
    mommy...
    thats odd. At my first apt with each doc they did an internal to see the baby and heart beat, and see how far along I was

i don't think it's odd. i think it's good that your doctor limits ultrasound exposure. i find it odd when doctors do u/s like crazy because the exposure is risky imo =)
    Anonymous