Two bedrooms, three kids, what should I do?

My children are almost 4, girl, 6 boy, and 9 girl. We have bunkbeds ordered, should i put the girls together, or let the little ones share a room for a year or two? The little ones play with alot more of the same stuff, watch tv together at night, etc. I feel the 9 year old needs more private time..to unwind after school etc. I think it would be hard having the girls share a room becaus eof their age difference. Should i room the 4 and 6 year old together? Or am i just letting the 9 year old get her way...as the first babies often do..even though she is the oldest i know i give her what she wants alot....I honestly just see things running smoother if the oldest is in the smaller room and the other two are in the bigger room together. Does anyone have boys and girls roomed together? What should I do?

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would room the girls together and the boy alone.
    Anonymous

• Me too.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I would room the girls together and let the boy have his own as well. As they get older, the boy and girl probably won't want to share a room.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You know your children better than anyone else, so if you think it would work best with the younger two in the larger room and the 9yo in the small room, I think you should do that. If it were me, I would give the privacy to the older child. At 9 she is coming up on puberty and will probably need her privacy more than the other two. From your description, it also sounds like the younger two have more in common at the moment. You can always change the arrangement later on if your kids' needs change or the arrangement stops working out. (FWIW, my ds and dd preferred to share a room for years until ds hit the pre-teen years and wanted his own space.)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I would keep the younger ones together and give the older one the smallest room.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I would ask the younger two if they mind sharing for a year or two and explain to the oldest that she WILL have to share a room with her sister eventually.
    My 9 1/2yo share a room with her almost 4yo sister and they get along pretty good. Before that she was sharing a room with her 8yo brother and 7yo sister. Originally our son was going to get the 3rd room once the youngest was ready to share a room (she's a very light sleeper) but it worked better for the middle two to continue sharing a room and for the oldest and youngest to share the other room. Eventually the 3 girls will be in one room and our son will have his own room but right now he doesn't mind sharing with his younger sister.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010