Two bedrooms, three kids?

My children are almost 4, girl, 6 boy, and 9 girl. We have bunkbeds ordered, should i put the girls together, or let the little ones share a room for a year or two? The little ones play with alot more of the same stuff, watch tv together at night, etc. I feel the 9 year old needs more private time..to unwind after school etc. I think it would be hard having the girls share a room becaus eof their age difference. Should i room the 4 and 6 year old together? Or am i just letting the 9 year old get her way...as the first babies often do..even though she is the oldest i know i give her what she wants alot....I honestly just see things running smoother if the oldest is in the smaller room and the other two are in the bigger room together. Does anyone have boys and girls roomed together? What should I do?

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well I think you should do what you think is best. If keeping your younger two makes your life easier then do so. Remind your 9 year old that in time the younger sister will have to share a room with her. Yet for now, she can have a room by herself. I ought to know since I am one of six children. The four youngest ones my twin brother and I with a baby brother and sister shared a room til I was about 12. Then we were split up with girls and boys rooms. The oldest two were girls. Thus it made sense. Hope this helps as it was meant too.
    Have a great day!:)
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 12:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You need to see what the laws are in your state on opposite sex siblings in the same room.
    My sister and I shared a room until I got married and moved out. She's 3 yrs younger than I am and I'm the oldest with a brother 1 yr younger than I am.

I personally would never have my youngest son and daughter rooming together. It can cause too many problems as time goes on with opposite sex siblings in the same room.
    Anonymous

• Well....my Sks still share a room at their mother's house much to their father and my dislike. step daughter is 9 and my step son is almost 6. We moved when i was pregnant with our daughter. she is now 19 months. We moved because we were in a 2 bedroom apartment. we made it so that they each had their own room. I would not want my daughter to share a room with my SD because there is way to big of an age gap. my SD is already too mature because of her older step-sister's at her moms (her mom re-married a man with a 15 and 18 year old).

i guess to me....the 9 and 4 year old aren't that far apart. However it will depend on the maturity of your 9 year old. I would maybe make a list of the pros and cons of both and see what you come up with. every situation is different. you know your kids better than we do. i know i probably didn't help much. but i wish you the best!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I would put the 2 girls together and try to separate private areas for the two of them, this could be no more than a cardboard box that was off limit to siblings. I would also let each girl pick out her own bedding and bedside decorations, at this point let the co-ordination go for the harmony of the two girls. If you tell them they need to share so be it, your the mom what you say goes.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have 4 and for now they are in two rooms. I have the 10 and 2 yo together and the 7 and 4 yo together. The 7 yo is a boy. I could not put all of the girls together so we have to do this for now. I would love to put the 4 and 2 yo in their own room but I definatly could not put the 10 and 7 yo in the same room. She is starting to develop and I could not do that to either of them even if we only have 1 bath and not alot of privacy in this house.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I agree to check the laws of your state.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I would put the girls together. Have them get used ot the idea now that they will have to share a room.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Girls in one room, boys in the other some states it's the law.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have an 11 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. They have been sharing a room now for almost 4 years. It has never once been a problem and they have never asked to have their own space. Basically they sleep in the room. If my daughter needs to change her clothes she does so in the bathroom. This is NOT a problem at all. In fact I highly recommend it, sharing a room has kept them very close and has created a bond between them that they will cherish forever. I will say that we are coming to an age now with my daughter that it is time to start thinking about building an addition so they can have their own rooms. She will be in 7th grade next year and it is time.
    Anonymous