Two bedrooms, three kids, 5 years apart?

My children are almost 4, girl, 6 boy, and 9 girl. We have bunkbeds ordered, should i put the girls together, or let the little ones share a room for a year or two? The little ones play with alot more of the same stuff, watch tv together at night, etc. I feel the 9 year old needs more private time..to unwind after school etc. I think it would be hard having the girls share a room becaus eof their age difference. Should i room the 4 and 6 year old together? Or am i just letting the 9 year old get her way...as the first babies often do..even though she is the oldest i know i give her what she wants alot....I honestly just see things running smoother if the oldest is in the smaller room and the other two are in the bigger room together. Does anyone have boys and girls roomed together? What should I do?

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would give the oldest her own room and bunk the other two together. The little ones are still young enough to share a room. I would switch them in a few years, but for now they are fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'd keep the younger two together for another year or two and then put the girls together. Be sure you let the older one know she will eventually be sharing unless you move to a bigger house.
    Anonymous

• Another option is to put some sort of divider in the bigger room and have the girls share, though I think I'd still probably leave the younger two together for at least one more year.
    Anonymous

• In my state it is illegal to put a brother and sister in the same room unless your house does not have enough rooms to accommodate all of the genders. I used to work for CPS. So, my advice would be to put the girls together. My sister and I shared a room growing up and we are 11 years apart. My crib was in her room when she was 11 and we shared the room until she graduated high school.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Firstly, stop stressing out so much about this decision lol! YOU are the parent YOU get to say what goes and doesn't go in your house. I don't think sticking a 9 year old with a 4 year old is fair either. If the 4 and 6 year old will get along better rooming together then go for it. I don't think you're spoiling the 9 year old at all by giving her a room to herself. Oldest children rarely get spoiled IMO...normally it's the LAST child that gets that because..well..they are the last "baby".

If it doesn't work out then you can always move everyone around. It's your house, you're in charge!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Illegal to have brothers and sisters share a room? That is just crazy!
    Anonymous

• I have a boy and a girl who share a room, and their much older sister has her own room. The comment that it was illegal for brothers and sisters to share a room made me curious so I searched for clarification. I found that the number of people sharing a room may be limited when you live in an apartment. I also learned that the separate rooms for separate genders laws are primarily for Foster children. I did not find any indication that a law exists in any state requiring parents to separate same sex siblings.
    Anonymous