Does your child take their lunch to school? Is it nutritious? What do you send them with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD takes her lunch everyday. On Sunday afternoons, we go to the store so that she can pick what she wants to eat. I allow her to pick one box of snack cakes as a treat and other items as long as they are good for her. She usually picks fruit (loves strawberries and apples), soup, sandwich meats, etc. Then we pack her lunch together every morning. I always put baby carrots in instead of chips. We tried all different types of drinks, but she prefers water. To make sure she is eating, I requested that the teacher NOT have her trow away her bags and stuff from in the lunch. Then if she doesn't eat an item I know. If she doesn't eat it several times in a row, then we have a talk. The best part is that she eats good food, yet still has choices.

lunchbag

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 1:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• On occasion they will pack. They pack their own - it's fairly healthy. A typical lunch will be peanut butter on whole wheat bread, yogurt, cereal mix (we make our own), whatever fruit we have on hand, and a bottle of water.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My daughter always has the same thing whether she brings or buys. A tuna fish sandwich. She always buys milk. If she brings, I'll include a yogurt squirt thing, I don't know what kind of snack she gets at school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• when minepack they take a sandwich( peanut butter, bologna, turkey, or ham) cucumber slices, and cheese crackers. the oldest will sometimes take a salad with hers too. I send them hi-c to drink or let them get milk at the lunch room. I do know when the lunchroom is having something they will not eat and only send lunches then.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son takes his lunch with him everyday, as he has multiple food allergies (gluten, dairy, peanuts, soy) and we don't want to take any chances with his health. My general rule of thumb for his lunches is a protein, a starch, a fruit and/or vegetable, something sweet, something salty and a drink. So, an example for lunch might be chicken nuggets, applesauce, carrot sticks, a few cookies, a small bag of potato chips, a cup of 100% juice and a bottle of water. Sometimes I toss in a treat of his special chocolates or other candy, like for a holiday, and sometimes I give him a sweetened rice bar in place of the cookies.
    Anonymous

• my son takes a sandwich with turkey, soy cheese, and salami...all natural meats and whole grain bread...no crust! then he gets goldfish or some other cracker with no hfcs, and a water bottle. he takes two snacks, usually cheerios and an apple.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010