If I would have had my child at home he would have died. Why do people want to take that chance?

In this country, if you cant afford to have your baby in a hospital you still cannot be turned away. So if its not a money issue why?

Yes I know women have been having babies since the beginning and we are all here, but doesn't your baby deserve every chance to live? What about you? If something happens to you your baby grows up without a Mommy? It just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'll give you one example. A study between the course of 7 years showed that home births resulted in twice the risk for neonatal death and low Apgar scores when compared to hospital births. There were also higher rates of congenital heart disease and respiratory distress in home births. In the home births prolonged labor and postpartum bleeding were more common. All of the home births used in this study were LOW-risk, and all were attended by a health professional. Out of 6,133 home births, 279 involved transfers to a hospital. 10,593 hospital births were included in the study. There were 20 (3.26 per 1,000) neonatal death during the home births, and 18 (1.7 per 1,000) with the hospital births. This is just one of the studied that I had bookmarked from when I was pregnant and decided...after research...to have my son birthed in a hospital.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• popcorn

Anonymous

• Because not all births require the need to be in the hospital and some women like/love/prefer the choice on how they birth their babies. My sister-in-law had 3 of her 6 kids at home. No problems at all. With the 4th, they told her that she shouldn't have the kid at home and she didn't. Her 5th kid was way premature. Not sure the story on the 6th. Women who do want home births are under medical care and if something does come up where they shouldn't or can't have a home birth, they are warned well in advanced.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• because their nuts
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Your chose is to have your child in the hospital and there chose is to have there baby at home. Either way what does it matter. At least when you having a baby at home. you are not putting your baby at risk of what ever anyone has at that hospital. They also do unnecessary things. If you are not high risk there is no reason to have a hospital birth. Actually there is a more death rate in babysin the USA.  Then in any other country that have home births.

Anonymous

• I think as long as you are very healthy and there are no problems with the pregnancy or foreseeable problems with the birth, then it should be fine. I do find it scary for those women who chose to have no trained midwife on hand though.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The risk of complications is actually much higher in hospital births than home births, so why take THAT risk if you don't need to? If giving birth were as dangerous as modern medicine tells women it is, the human race would have died out long ago. Truth is, the majority of births do not need ANY intervention. They will progress on their own whether there is a dr. present or not. Technology is wonderful when it is actually needed, but why use it if it's not needed? I believe it is the mother's right to decide for herself where she gives birth, what position she gives birth in, how much intervention she has, who is in attendance, etc. Those things should not be determined by hospital staff. When the mother is comfortable & relaxed, it makes the birthing process smoother. If you feel safe and comfortable in a hospital, GREAT! Have your babies there. But don't assume other moms should agree with you.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Because the hospital actually CAUSES a lot of problems. America has the second worst maternal and neonatal mortality and morbidity rates in the developed world. Our outcomes are worse than some third world countries! It is that way because we OVERUSE interventions to the extreme. Countries who do better than us have 70-80% of all births being attended by midwives in homes, birthing centers and hospitals alike. We pay twice as much per birth and lose twice as many women and babies as many other countries. One in THREE babies is born by C-section and the WHO recommends NO MORE than 15% in HIGH RISK populations, and no more than 5% in normal populations. Explain that. In America it's about avoid litigation and money, not about what's best for moms and babies. We do not practice evidence-based care here. Even studies done to discredit homebirth have found it is as safe or safer than hospital birth. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• CONT from above

And they don't even count C-sections as morbidity (even though it clearly IS).

We are causing placenta accreata in record numbers, women die of eclampsia, babies die of respiratory distress in record numbers, and it's safer to have your baby in BOSNIA than it is in California right now.

When you look at the numbers, the hospitals are not doing their jobs. We lose WAY more moms and babies than we should. And in America homebirth is a very safe option. Midwives are trained to recognize and deal with complications early rather than wait until there's a catastrophe and someone needs to be saved.

There is no increased risk to mom or baby, it's a trade off of which risks you are willing to take.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• What about their nuts? or did you mean "they're nuts"?

I take offense to that kind of name calling. Bad grammar makes me [sic].

And BTW, you are statistically much more likely to have complications, including death of your infant, in a hospital than at home.

Personally, I LOVED my homebirth experience.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 1:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010