i think he may be behind in learning his numbers, abc's, etc..

my son is 3 and knows how to count to 10 (when he wants to), knows most of his colors, and basic shapes. but then i come on here and see other mom's posts that their 3yr olds can count to 25, know the entire alphabet, know all their shapes, and colors etc. i feel like my son is wayyy behind. what are some good ways to teach a 3yr old numbers, and letters without losing their attention? i try teaching my son new things but he never seems interested..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't let other moms and their kids accomplishments make you feel bad. It's so easy to start comparing our kids to others kids of the same age. But all kids develop at their own pace.
    My DD definately has developed differently than my DS at this age. My DD is 4 now....she is slower at picking things up and retaining it. She has to do it in her how time. ANd then one day, she starts spouting out all of this stuff that I'd been teaching her!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Use them in play - count steps when you go upstairs; when he's playing with blocks talk about what color they are, ask him to hand you the "blue" one (or whatever color); sing the ABC song when you're in the car, or the bathtub, or on a walk; write the letters as you say them when the two of you are coloring. At his age, learning is all about play - you have to make it fun for him. And remember that kids develop at their own pace - he may be better at different things than some of the kids who already know their ABCs and can count higher.

Answer by missanc at 1:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You have all of year 4 to cultivate his interest before kindergarten. I'm not a teacher but I think he'll learn and the preschool teacher should be able to tell you if he's ready for K or not. Just sing the ABC's, put a homemade chart on the fridge, when you pick up a book, point to B, practice taking TEN steps, then 15, then 20 to his bedroom, kitchen, to the car, etc. If you cook measure the ingredients like 2 TBSP, have him count how many doors or windows are in the house, etc. Don't worry.
    Anonymous

• Don't judge your child against the stories the women in here tell....in case you haven't noticed yet, a lot of them are a bit on the unstable side and there is no telling what is true and what is a lie. Just let your little one progress at his own pace. Putting pressure on him won't do you or him any good.
    Anonymous

• you cant go by what other kids are doing. my dd knew her shapes, colors abc, and numbers 1-20 by 21/2 but thats her, my niece didnt know that stuff till she was almost 4
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• To preserve your sanity, take what gets posted here with a grain of salt. Odds are, the posts are either parents who believe their kids are advanced (and are looking for confirmation or are bragging) or kids who are delayed (who's parents are looking for advice). You're better off finding a general milestone chart if you're curious about what your child should know and when. In the meantime, incorporate learning into play. Talk about everyday objects, their colors, use, shape, etc. In the bathtub, count the toys, use tub crayons and draw shapes, letters, etc. Just don't make it too much like work. Kids learn best by having fun. i read once that kids who watch a lot of Sesame Street (or equivalent) learn letters, counting, etc early but it all evens out by kindergarten. So, enjoy your child and don't worry.
    Anonymous

• My son is 3 1/2 and does not know his alphabet, he can sometimes count to 10, but not always, he's pretty good with colours, but no so much with shapes. Really I'm not worried. First of all, I take everything I read on here with a grain of salt, secondly I know my son is smart and that he will get it and I'm not going to make myself crazy by pushing him to the standards of random strangers on the internet. I would recommend though that you work on this stuff through play rather than having a lesson time. He'll still get it, but with much less stress on both of you.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My 3.5 year old knows her alphabet, for I taught it to her by way of song. She knows the song. She doesn't recognize every letter yet, but is starting to, for I practice with her. She practices at daycare too. As for numbers, she can count to 20 on her own right now. We'll count further together. It's all about repetition at this age. I also own the DVDs The Letter factory - Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and Chicka Chicka Chicka 123. They are great for introducing letters and numbers. Use ABC flash cards too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my first son could count to 12 for my dad when he was 3, but only to 3 for me! i knew he knew his abc's, but he wouldn't sing them until he was 5! some kids are very good at memorizing these things at a young age. i was a nanny for a 2 1/2 yo, that knew her abc's, none of my kids knew them that early! i have 2 yo twins now, that tend to sing more than my other kids did, so i hear them singing parts of the abc's already...i think it has more to do with the song than the actual abc's. it doesn't really matter when they learn those letters and numbers, it is understanding what they are that is important...every letter makes a sound, counting objects, not just saying numbers...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Relax, he's 3!!! Some parents see it as a sign of high intelligence if their kids can read and write before they can hold a spoon,
    I can tell you as a Prep Teacher, kids come in reading or not reading, knowing the numbers or not, able to tie shoe laces and construct a nuclear power plant or not able to identify a circle. Give it a couple of years at grade school and the kids who were allowed to learn at their own pace blossom and thrive, and the kids who are "accelerated learners" struggle with boredom, overinflated egos and feelings of failure when all of a sudden their brilliance is just average. I wish parents would let their toddlers be toddlers, let them play in the sand, not because it is an educational experience but because it's fun! Let them run around in the rain, jump in puddles, pretend to be doggies and be silly.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2010