What is your opinion on this?

In the class for toddlers at my church they have this song that they sing during the time they pass a small can around the collect the children's offering. I usually give my son a dollar bill for this when I drop him off. However, many of the parent's don't give their children money and so what the teacher's have started to do is keep some extra quarters and stuff so they can give them to those children right before the song starts so they don't feel left out when the other kids are getting to put something into the can as the teacher carries it around the room. Plus it helps them learn to give to the Lord. I always thought that they were just being nice but hubby thinks it should almost be a part of their job. I don't see how that is their responsibility. I mean, its wonderful that they do it, but they shouldn't be required to.

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its not about the money but about obedience. Jesus doesnt NEED money but He desires YOU and your precious heart! :)

Too many Christians think the children do not understand but I beleive they understand the things of the spirit more than the adults do! The were not given junior spirits at all, they can do anything we can do and in a more powerful way because they actualy to come as children without all the baggage we as adults carry!
    So what these teachers recgonize is that these children know and understand more than many realize and want to give them the oppurtunity to give out of the obedience of the heart, they want to give ! Children are like that!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I guess hubby does have a point that not every family has even a dollar or a quarter to give. And the ladies who teach have been in the church for many years.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It's a gift.... one that the parents can decide whether to give or not to.
    Some people don't like their children giving money to something when they don't understand why.
    Some people don't like giving money to church's.

I don;t like it, because it enforces this idea of you must give, when a gift should be voluntary.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• That is very true piskie. however I tend to think most people who feel this way probably wouldn't even be there.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Its not the teachers responsibility but it is their choice. Its nice that they make the effort and offer something to give.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yeah. I mean a two year old doesn't understand when the song is playing and the teacher walk around the room and stops at each child's seat and get a turn to put a dime or whatever into the little bank thingy, and they get skipped because they have nothing.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The way the children in the class would see it is they didn't get their fair turn to do the activity. As they grow older the comprehend more and more of the song about giving money to Jesus.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It is NOT their job to provide that. It is nice that they do but someone needs to send a flyer home with the children requesting parents send along a bit of spare change so their children aren't left out at collection time.

Your husband is wrong.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I find it a bit pushy to do this. I understand the need to lead by example but Im not a fan of collection plates/cans in the toddler class.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i'm not a fan of that either, i agree with 3gigglemonsters. They dont even pass a collection plate during services on sunday. We have a donation box outside of where we worship. That way money isnt mixed in with worship and no one feels bad if they dont have any money that day.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010