Working Mom, Who cares for your children?

I would like to survey those working moms on what they do for childcare and what they like about it and what doesn't work for them.

Karen

karen49

Asked by karen49 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Me because I have a home daycare. I love it because I can spend my days with my children and be there for them.
    Anonymous

• My daughter goes to daycare full-time. It costs us $900/mos, which is something that is difficult to take, but I only want the best for her. It is a great place. So far my only complaint is that it is closed a lot (for every holiday and every Jewish holiday since it is a Jewish daycare).
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have a friend that gets my daughter from school every day (her daughter goes to the same school). Then she takes her back to her house until DH or I get there. DD is there usually about 1.5 hours each day.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 1:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I pay a private babysitter. She's been my sitter for years. I trust her. She's well known in the community and has a stellar reputation. Shes affordable and will protect and care for my child as if my DD is her own. DD is not just another paycheck to her. My DD gets to know and love her caretaker.

I could never understand why anyone would take their child to a center that had 20+ kids where the women were young (most just out of high school) and paid minimum wage.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son goes to a daycare center 3 days a week from 8 am to 2 pm - then my mom picks him up and has him til I pick him up at 5:30 - the next week he goes 4 times - same times - my husband watches him every Monday and my mom watches him all day every other friday. It costs $650 / mo just for this part time schedule. I am hoping we can make it more full time for him soon so its less movement.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Salem witch - I take him to a center because I do not have anyone I trust with my child that I know. and I know at this center he is with 9 other kids and 2 teachers - everything will be followed strictly and very much monitored, they have a great security system, yeah I wish he could be at a home daycare sometimes but watching what my sister went through NO WAY!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• BTW, I pay $50 a week for my DD. Paying $900 is crazy! Of course I don't know where you live. But that would be impossible for me.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I work part time after my husband gets home from work. so from 5:30-10:30pm. We meet at my place of employment and do a baby swap. It is a blessing to be a contributor to our finances AND get to spend the entire day with my son at the same time. It is hard to find time for just my husband and I but luckily, we have my in laws to care for our son should we ever need time alone.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I work outside the home, 40hrs a week.. I love my daycare.. JB has been there since he was about 9m old an he is 2.5 now.. They take great care of him, all i have to do is provide diapers, it cost me 70.00 a week..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 1:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Wow -I can NOT believe how inexpensive some daycares are out there... there is not one in MN at home or center under $150 a week... ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2010