How do I start potty training my 23 month old daughter

I don't know were to start. She's about to be 2 years old and I need advice on how to potty training. How do I start and how do I keep her interested in potty training.

MarissaDavis29

Asked by MarissaDavis29 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She needs to show interest in it.
    Can she undress and dress herself?
    Can she go with a wet diaper for 2 hrs?
    Does she tell you when she has gone potty or poopy in her diaper?
    Does she hide when she goes potty?
    IF you can answer yes to all they she is ready.
    If she is not ready then it will just a lot of frustration on both of you. Lots of children are closer to 3 yrs old when they are ready.
    Anonymous

• I strongly disagree. I would have answered "no" to 90% of those questions and we trained our first daughter at 19 months. It took about 10 days all told. If you subscribe to the extremely popular philosophy of child-led potty training, then listen to the above. Lots of kids are indeed 3 years old -- sometimes older -- before they're ready to lead the way into potty training. But this is a very new, culturally specific phenomenon. If you would like another opinion: remember that most kids are physically capable (and IMO therefore capable period) of using the potty during the day by 18 months or so. We just removed the diaper (we put her in undies but no pants at home, some people do it completely bottomless) and stayed home a few days, focusing on the potty. I'd wait until she started to go in her undies and then move her there; another technique is putting them on the potty every 30 minutes, but I find the other way...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• (cont'd) more effective, because they sometimes resent being made to sit there waiting for something to randomly happen, whereas if you're fast enough, the other way you can get them there mid-pee, and they see very quickly what it's for. We were out of the house (no diaper, no pull-up) on day 4, and I just put her on the potty often while we were out... by 10 days she was telling us reliably she needed to go. It's been a year now, and I CANNOT imagine her still being in diapers today! I'd say if you have the time and energy for it, you can most certainly help your daughter learn the potty now.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Well when i tried to potty train my daughter and nothing would ever work, and someone told me not to worry about it when the time is right they will go and i alway kept a potty chair in the living room so she could sit on it as a chair and one day she just started going, it took bout 2 days but it worked
    sweething155

Answer by sweething155 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010