If marijuana were scientifically proven to be a health benefit such as reducing or cancelling cancer would you use it?

I've seen studies of THC in marijuana killing brain tumor cells and it's significantly lengthened the lives of rats with cancer, among other diseases and studies. I wonder if this information were more popular would people change their mind at all? I was against it until I did research..I've been amazed at how much I had not heard of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Health

• No, anon, the high you get is not due to brain cell dying. LOL Receptors in your brain bind to the THC, which sets off a reaction that releases dopamine. It's the chemical imbalance that creates the high, not dying brain cells.

And yes, I would use it for medical purposes. It has fewer side effect than most of the current treatments for cancer, nausea, etc. I am also pro-legalization, but don't think it will happen until people start hearing more truths about marijuana and less hype. Most people are terrified of it when it is actually less harmful than most of the stuff people can buy otc to take for a headache. You can die from taking a few too many Tylenol pills, yet it's available everywhere. There are no known cases of someone dying from smoking or ingesting pot and it's next to impossible to od on.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't just because I don't want to smoke anything. I have mild asthma.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I do believe it has health benefits. If I had a health condition that I think I would benefit from its use sure I would. Not around DD though.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• nope,im not interested in getting high,(example)i hear vicodin takes pain away and as usual people abuse it and get hoocked on it,so no i rather not..
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• only for medical reasons.
    Anonymous

• if there was enough proof that it was a valid remedy, then yes. but only when/how much i was told to. and i definately wouldn't be high around my kids! or driving a car! it's still mind-altering, even if you have permission. i wouldn't legallize it. but i'm for medical marijuana.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I smoke anyway honestly. I really wish all people would wise up, lay back and smoke a joint.
    Anonymous

• To anon 10:34 lol im a mom so yes im very wise and lay back but i dont need to smoke a joint ,i rather take a bath if i need to relax that bad.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OP here--It's so hard for me to believe if you had brian cancer you wouldn't smoke til it was gone...or to lengthen your life. That just seems so extreme to me...simply because you'd get high from it?? If i had a high risk of cancer as many of us do, I'd take precautions to lower that risk. Just like eating more vegetables and fruits, ya know?
    Anonymous

• 10 :38 thats good for you but guess what? you cant speak for me,since i belive in prayer and God healing and i have seen plenty of people get healed.Once again no i dont wanna get high,its ok really some of us would and some of us wont, im the one that wont,your the one that will but idk why we are even talking about it, God willing we will both die of natural causes :P
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010