Another potty training question

So when I trained my first 3 kids we lived in a one story. Now we're in a 2 story and I'm starting to think about training my youngest (he's not ready - only 15 months, I'm just a planner!). I'm assuming I will need a potty for downstairs and a potty for up? Is it better to have them be the same for consistency, or different for interest? Also, they have the ones that light up and make noise now - has anyone used these and found it helpful?

Asked by missanc at 1:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally don't think the light up, sing-songy potties are a good idea. A potty is not a toy, it's a place to pee. Sometimes the songs and lights actually scare the kids. You can provide your own excitement and encouragement by cheering for him -- so save your money. My 17 month old is training right now, and we also live in a 2 story house... I had planned on having her use the portable potty chair downstairs and the potty ring on the toilet upstairs (the only toilet in the house), but she doesn't like the portable chair; but she LOVES the potty ring on the big potty -- probably because that's what she sees big sis doing. Anyway, I think you should wait and see what your child prefers... with both my girls, the potty ring is what really worked, so I wouldn't invest in an additional stand-alone potty yet. I just ask my little one if she wants to sit on the potty and she heads for the stairs...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i agree the less stimulating the better. My DD is 18 months and potty training she would love to just sit on the potty and read books for 30 mins without doing her business. Songs and lights would only delay the process. I regular small potty for downstairs and a potty seat cover for upstairs. Eventually they will have to use the big potty so using that one more regularly will be better off in the end.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010