Puzzles

I was just reading a developmental milestone chart for 4 year olds and on there it says that they should put together a 4-12 piece puzzle. My daugher can put together a 50 piece puzzle alone and 100 with a little help. My son that is 3 can do a 70 piece puzzle. Is it normal that a 3 and 4 year old can do puzzles so well?

alaskansglmom

Asked by alaskansglmom at 1:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes - very normal. When looking at developmental charts, they usually state the lowest standards that a child should be able to achieve - a point where you should start being concerned if they haven't reached it. My now 10 year old has always been able to do puzzles, and my 12 year old has autism and was able to put together a 24 piece puzzle upside down between 18 months - 2 years.
    It's a great skill - related to problem solving and will serve them well in school.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2010