Should He Be a Junior

So growing up i promised myself that i was going to be a virgin till i get married (didnt happen), that i was going to marry before i got pregnant (didnt happen) and i wouldn't name my son after the father no matter what. where i stand now since the other two things i couldnt fulfill. the whole baby name thing had to come into play. So now my thought is if im married and there is a commitment between the father and I then naming our son after him wouldnt be so bad(if he really wanted to) it would be a priceless gift to My husband something special just for him. Now that im pregnant with my baby boy not married my BF is kinda forcing me to give the baby his name and where i stand is i dont think he has any intentions of marrying me so what do i do.? everytime the whole baby name thing comes up its like i want to ask him about the marriage thing but he pulls back from the question. thinking its just a name but its more to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I say don't do it but I don't like juniors. My uncle was a junior and my cousin is a 3rd. It let them get away with a lot of things due to family dynamics. My spouse is kinda named after a parent (same first and last name but different middle name). It cause a lot of problems medically due to medical records getting mixed up. I think it can and usually does cause more problems than a different name would.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'd tell him he can name the baby after him AFTER a wedding. This is the most powerful time of your life with your relationship. Take advantage of it. If you are living with him, go home to mom and tell him you will come back after you two are married. Stick to your guns if that is what you want. Then when he marries you make the little one Jr.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I dont think naming your kid a "jr" or anything similar is special. The child should have an individuality even in name imho.

If you dont wanna name your son after the father then dont, you will have control of the paperwork anyway.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Personally I don't like the whole Sr, Jr.... thing at all. I mean at what point does it end-- at 3rd generation, 4th, 7th?, and what do you do if there is no way to make nickname or distinguish which one you are talking to? My sil named 2 of her kids after their fathers (none used Sr., Jr) so my 1 nephew is going thru life being called Timmy-- wich would be fine if he was a child-- instead of a 35yr old adult!
    I think children should have the right to have their OWN name, not be someone's 'shadow' or namesake.
    Anonymous

• i say name a kid whatever you want to name them. if you want them to have his dad's name- then so be it. but dont be forced into it. but dont force him to marry you in order for the kid to have that name.
    Anonymous

• I also am not fond of naming a baby junior. Don't let him force you to give him the his name. When he brings it up again, just say "I would only name my baby Jr if the father and I were married" and leave it at that. I got lucky, my SO doesn't like the idea of Jr's either, so giving the baby his name was never an option. Around where I live, when someone hears somebody else named their child So and So Jr, the reply is usually "Oh poor thing!" Sometimes joking, sometimes not. Don't give in!!!
    Anonymous

• Anonymous 3:54 im not forcing him to marry me i just dont want to name the child after a man thats in my life right now that doesnt have intentions of marrying me. its like uncertain if we will be together forever. i dont know how to tell him without making it seem like im forcing him to marry me just for a baby name. im def not ready to marry him (i mean i wouldnt mind dont get me wrong) i see our lives together but if hes not ready i can wait..i just need him to tell me whats what..whats the differance between the first child being named after him or the next if he has plans on me beig in his future chances are we will be married and chances are we will have another son and he could be JR.
    Anonymous

• If it's the baby's father and you are with him, I don't see the problem.. why does it matter if you are not married ???
    Anonymous