baby walker

I just heard that baby walker are not good for babies? Is this true. I need feed back.

rlmaye

Asked by rlmaye at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that they teach babies to walk incorrectly & that they are unsafe (as in idiots leaving their kids in them and baby rolling down some stairs!) But honestly, I used one with all three of my kids, and had absolutely no adverse effects, all 3 walked early actually.
    Anonymous

• Check out The American Academy of Pediatrics website...they've posted warnings about them and would have them banned if possible.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My daughter is just shy of 1 year old and has had one for the last six months or so. She's just about to start walking and is taking one to two steps at a time. We have never had a problem. It definately makes her more mobile and she can get to a lot more. But you've got to make sure you block off the area's they are not allowed otherwise..no problems on my side!
    cpittaz

Answer by cpittaz at 2:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree with anonymous.....mine used one, but, I watched him and he walks fine. We also had it set up where he could only stay in one room and he never could run into a wall and worry about whiplash or whatever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We have one...but my girl was just too independant to use it,lol. However, I put the little ones I babysit in it once in awhile..they love it and have had no problems. I think the way they make them today are much safer than how they were constructed..like say..when I was a kid 30 years ago,lol. I just block off unsafe areas and always watch.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't take chances - the AAP says they aren't safe and delay walking, I just wouldn't waste my money. Get a stationary exersaucer or something for your child to play in or let them play on the floor exercising their muscles.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I heard the same thing so we did not use one for our daughter. I've heard mixed opinions from parents though. Dr. says no walkers but a lot of people I l know used them. We did not.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• not safe. plus it's really bad for their hips. Exersaucers are considered safer but still they are bad for baby's hips
    Anonymous

• I used an exersaucer with my son and never trusted a walker....I did eventually buy one for him with baby gates blocking all stairs, but he never liked it and really didn't use it. I won't get one for our daughter.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The are not good for hip development and delay walking and encorage toe walking. Way too much pressure on the spine too. The can also tip over and make the baby far more mobile than they are ready for. Even exersausers can cause problems if the bby is in it too early or too long. Honestly, you don't need baby containers. ave your money. Put the baby on the foor (or on a mat), provide some toys and that will be the best for development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2010