Christians** Christians*** Can you explain the concept and/or conflict between free will and an all knowing God? Christians*** Christians **

PLEASE don't turn this into a debate and allow Christians to give some answers. Please.I really do want to know and understand this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just because you know the sky is blue doesnt mean you are making it blue.
    Just because God knows we are going to choose a certain path doesnt mean he made us do it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think amber answered it well. Just because God knows what we're going to do doesn't mean He predestines it. His knowing what we're going to do has no effect on our choosing to do it. Just as I can predict my husband's or my son's behaviour at times doesn't mean that I influence it, if you get what I mean.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'm doing this in 3 parts since we're limited to 940,
    OK by God’s exercising full foreknowledge, the opportunity to receive the benefits of Christ Jesus’ ransom sacrifice were already irrevocably sealed off from some before their birth, so that such ones could never prove worthy, it could not truly be said that the ransom was made available to all men. (2Co 5:14, 15; 1Ti 2:5, 6; Heb 2:9) The impartiality of God is clearly no mere figure of speech. “In every nation the man that fears God and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (Ac 10:34, 35; De 10:17; Ro 2:11)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• So just think at Genesis 11:5-8 God is described as directing his attention earthward, surveying the situation at Babel, and, at that time, determining the action to be taken to break up the unrighteous project there. After wickedness developed at Sodom and Gomorrah, Jehovah advised Abraham of his decision to investigate (by means of his angels) to “see whether they act altogether according to the outcry over it that has come to me, and, if not, I can get to know it.” (Ge 18:20-22; 19:1)

God spoke of ‘becoming acquainted with Abraham,’ and after Abraham went to the point of attempting to sacrifice Isaac, Jehovah said, For now I do know that you are God-fearing in that you have not withheld your son, your only one, from me.”—Ge 18:19; 22:11, 12; compare Ne 9:7, 8; Ga 4:9.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• So I believe the option is actually and genuinely open to all men “to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.” (Ac 17:26, 27) There is no empty hope or hollow promise set forth, therefore, in the divine exhortation at the end of the book of Revelation inviting: “Let anyone hearing say: ‘Come!’ And let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.”—Re 22:17.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• long explanations tend to get lost on my little brain.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I just don't think it can be clearly explained in one sentence and this way it addresses most questions, but just read the first one then as the others are showing examples of God watching people to see what they were doing as He did with Abraham.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If your actions and personal decisions are really "free" then god cannot know what you are going to decide to do. If he has fore-knowlege of the path you are going to take before you are born, then you cannot have free will. You have no choice but to follow the destiny set out for you. The two things conflict. If god knew what Adam and Eve would do then he should have made the merciful decision not to create them in the first place and thereby spare humankind the horrors of the hell that he created. And being all-knowing, he knew that I would eventually become an atheist and, by trying to convert me, christians are therefore going against god's will. Either your future is set and he knows, or you have "free will" and make your own choices. You can't have it both ways.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2010