Christians collection controversy...

It seems natural to me to give money to the church to help the poor, keep the church warm or cold and repairs.

It seems as if this offends other people.

Are there Christian churches that will not accept donations?

Are there non denomination churches that HAVE collection plates/envelopes/baskets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is nothing wrong with giving to a church that actually is helping the poor, but so many churches these days don't really help the poor, they more so heap up upon themselves riches, than really do anything to help the poor.
    Yes of course non-denominational churches have collection plates and stuff.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I meant non Christian churches oops '-'
    Anonymous

• Most churches really NEED the money. Think about it. They pay utilities, employees, event costs, costs for communion supplies, sometimes rent. They NEED it and they still give portions to missions and the poor. We use thier facility to worship, learn, and be together. I feel that we shouldnt be offended if they use some of the funds for themselves.

Where else are they supposed to get the money to give to the poor? A money tree?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• you became an atheist because a greedy person asked you for money?

hmm funny I would think that would have nothing to do with believing or not believing in God.
    Anonymous

• i'm a jw, and we do collections also, but i like the way this is done. The donation box is outside of where we meet, no one has ever told me to put a dime in there. If you can donate then great, if you cant then that's ok too. They dont say we need x amount of money or anything like that. No one ever feels bad or guilty and no one knows who's giving money and who doesnt. I used to be catholic and my family didnt have much money and everytime the collection plate came around my parents would feel guilty because they didnt always have to give. I used to feel like a heel as i got older and had the same situation.
    Anonymous

• Side note...i don't think its wise to quit a faith simply on what other people do or don't do. In Christianity you believe because of Christ, the Word, and your OWN relationship. If I chose not to follow Christ because of how some other Christians were...well then i was never really following Him in the first place. I respect leaving a faith for personal beliefs and questions about what truth is...just not based on other people.

Now as for the question..Churches need money for salaries (like it or not) of pastors and support staff. They have buildings to pay for including utilities. They are contantly asked by people for money to pay small bills, put food on their tables, or larger loans. They have ministries that cost money like missionaries in their own or in other countries. Some churches even have sister churches in 3rd world countries. The question is what does YOUR church use the money for?.......
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Most churches are very open with their accounting. If they aren't you may have cause to be concerned. If you don't agree with how they spend the money you give, and the church isn't producing good fruit as a result of that money then maybe you should consider finding a church who is a good financial steward.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I am Catholic and one of the things I hear most often from former Catholics is how they were brow beaten or guilted into donating to the church. I can't imagine how this is true because my grandmother has given $2 to the church every week since WWII. When my grandfather died he was given just as much respect as the parishioners who donate more money.

I asked the priest about this one day. I don't give a clean 10% and honestly I have never been asked to give 10%. I have never felt guilty or given dirty stares when we don't drop money into the collection. We have envelopes so honestly who would know if I gave one dollar or two?

Anonymous

• (cont)
    The response from the priest is we are to give what we can. He quoted something from the bible about a woman giving small change and everyone else given large amounts. The coins made different sounds so it was known who donated what. {if anyone can pull up this verse it would be great}The donation of the widow was more appreciated than the big donations. Basically what he said is those that feel guilty or come to him and explain why they didn't give more do not really understand the meaning behind tithing or the purpose. What I can or cannot give is between God and myself and I will never be asked to leave the church because what I give.

I have been a member of 6 different parishes in my life. Three while I lived with my parents and three since I have been married. With each move the church welcomed us and never asked for an income statement or more money.
    Anonymous

• If you are a Christian and believe in following what the BIBLE says, your decision on when and how much to give should come from there. You shouldn't feel guilty for giving or not giving a certain amount just because of the plate going around. The plate goes around so people can give what they believe they should give.
    If you believe the Bible says to give 10% of your income and you don't give it, then don't blame the church for making you feel guilty. That is lack of personal discipline. If you never look to the Word for guidance in this area then you'll just be lead blindly and more than likely will become easily offended.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010