question about crocheting a blanket...

crocheting a blanket with flower/granny squares is my next challenge. But I'm not sure what to do....I got the granny square part down, but to attach all of the squares, do I have to make sure the borders of all the squares are all the same color then slip stitch all of the squares together with the same color as the border to make it a blanket? I assume the color matching is optional, but do I have the right idea? I am in a crochet group but wanted to ask here also!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• that's how I do it :) you can also use a yarn needle and sew it together, but I'm always to lazy to go hunt down the yarn needle which is normally lost anyways LOL

there's also a very pretty stitch called a reverse crochet that you can use for joining, but it's not the easiest stitch to do.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• thanks mama! I was also told about the whip stitch!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I've done the slip stitch join but I prefer to join as I go now, making the last row of each square join to one or more sides of previous established squares. That way the blanket grows as you go. I've been doing a hex blanket like that for almost a year (I work on it as I feel like it and it's done of scraps).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• jen, I still have yet to master the join as you go method! LOL any tips? I have a pattern for a scraps blanket I'd love to make but am intimidated by the join as you go part of the instructions.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Actually I found learning to join as you go with the hex pattern much easier then the square ones but they are all pretty simply once you work out the mechanics. this is the pattern I'm using for the hex: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2008/11/hexagon-crochet.html

It explains how to do the join.  I think she explains it very well and it has pictures.  It takes a bit of fidgeting at first but once you get going the blanket goes fast.  I work on it when I feel like it and within a few months it was crib sized.  Now it's lap sized, getting close to twin sized.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• thanks Jen :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2010