1 year old to stop using pacifier

My son in 12 months old and i'm trying to break him of using his paci. I don't want him to depend on it in order to "self soothe" and go to sleep. I tried to just not use it at all (quit cold turkey) for his nap today and he bawled and bawled ... and wouldn't go to sleep. after waiting awhile he just wouldn't sleep. But as soon as I gave him his pacifier he was out. Any tips on getting him weaned off of the paci?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's too early to take it away. would even consider it till child is 2yrs old
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 18 months and is still "plugged". We swore we would take her binkie away at 12 months. Forget it. There is not enough Tylenol in the world!!!! The screaming went on for hours!!!! I understand!

We get comments like "Isnt she a little old to have a binkie still." but we just look right at the people and say "NO!"
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Stick out the cold turkey IMO. My DD bawled and bawled too for the first few days. Eventually she forgot all about it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Most children will naturally start giving up around age two. But if it's that big of a deal for you you're going to want to limit pcifier time to naptime and bedtime only and then he can have it for ten minutes at nap time and as long as he wants at bedtime and then not at all during nap time and then just bedtime and you get the point. There will be a lot of crying involved though because he's probably not ready to be done iwht it even if you are.
    Anonymous

• I've been there. It's tough, I know, believe me I know. But just take that darn paci and don't give it back. Letting him cry that long and giving it back is only going to make it rougher on you both. Take all the pacies and just throw them away to avoid the temptation of giving it back. It'll be a rough week but then he won't even miss it after that. I've had to wean 2 toddlers from the paci. A one year old has no "need" to suck to soothe, it's just become a habit. Tell yourself that when he's screaming for his paci...it's not a need, it's a want and he'll live. You're taking away the paci so his teeth develop well and so he learns to soothe himself to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Mine still has hers so I'm no expert (22 mo.) but my doctor told me to poke holes in it or cut the tip off and eventually they'll give it up on their own. Also, if she's on the soothie brand...they have a super soothie that is apparently so hard to suck that if you switch her to it, she'll give it up on her own out of frustration.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• With my cousin his parents took the packs away and threw them away and told him the gave them to the needy babies at the hospital and it worked
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2010