Celebrating your childs birthday at school

Another question made me think of this. I have always taken treats in on my childrens birthday's to the school, the teachers are always willing to allow it and the kids love it. It saves me from having to worry about school policies regarding invites to parties. I still have a party at the house and we invite the kids my children want to, normally they are kids we see outside of school and spend more time with.

Does anyone else do this?

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in

• Yep. We always bring some kind of ice cream treat because our son's birthday is in May. In kindergarten there was a little girl that was Jehovah Witness and she couldn't eat the cupcake we brought because it was a "birthday" cupcake. It was so sad. Her teacher took the birthday topper off and told her that is was just a regular cupcake and that she could eat it. Which she did. So we now we bring a non-cake treat so all the kids can eat it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• yes - this year I did cupcakes and individual wrapped christmas tree icecream. My dd wanted juice cuz they would be thirsty. Which also meant plates and napkins. I didn't have to do cups cuz we did juice boxes.
    One parent made each child a gift bag - I was NOT doing that
    lexisandjayden

Answer by lexisandjayden at 3:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• So far we have been doing both. We have a birthday party at his school and he invites all of his classmates to his big birthday party. Starting with his next birthday party, we are going to do a birthday party at school and have a small birthday party where he invites just a few friends. Also, if the teacher and/or the school does not allow a birthday party in the classroom then I get a birthday present for the classroom such as a new game, puzzle, outdoor toy, etc for the whole class to have.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yes, we take a little snack into class. Where we used to live, it had to be store bought to make sure the parents weren't putting anything questionable in the food. (paranoid much?) Here, it can be home made, so that makes it a lot easier.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I did this when my kids were in private school. We homeschool now. I would take cupcakes, cookies or donuts ( whatever they wanted, I let them pick the treat) and juice boxes.I just had to let the teacher know a few days ahead of time.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my sons class asks for a book wrapped up that the birthday child opens and presents to the classroom as a gift. i think it is a great idea, and then kids with nut allergies aren't left out with the cupcakes. the birthday kids still get a crown and are line leader for the day, so the child still feels special.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I bring in supplies for a craft. My son has anaphylactic food allergies as do a few others in his class. This way they have a fun activity and no one is left out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• We can bring treats but it has to be store bought since our school is peanut free and they need a label to look at. I brought ice cream and we donated several books to the classroom.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Yup, we do. My son's birthday is over the summer. He usually ends up with an early celebration in class assigned by the teacher. Last year all the summer birthday kids shared one day. Instead of doing 6 sets of cupcakes and donut holes, we pooled our resources and threw the class a pizza party. Closer to his actual birthday, he picked out a few friends to join us on a Pirate Cruise around the bay. The boys had a blast. It cost me less than a regular party and my son swears it was his best birthday ever. He even got to steer the boat. My DD's birthday is mid-Sept. She brings in something to share with the class. She also gets to pick out a friend or two to join us at Build a Bear or some place else of her choosing. She loves it.

Fwiw, my DD has severe food allergies. She keeps a stash of safe snacks in the nurses freezer to retrieve for other birthday celebrations. This let's her have a special treat and be safe.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• No, I never did this. There were too many children in my son's class and they would not allow you to bring anything home made. It had to be from a certain bakery because of the restrictions on food because of peanut allergies.

Hopefully, when he goes to a new school next year, I'll be able to take in treats.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

Next question in
Northcentral University

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
climbing