Food stamps

My SO and I live together. He works, I do not. I have 150.00. No assets. Nothing. HE has about 500 right now. He also has a 529 college account, money in stocks, and an expensive car given to him for his high school graduation. His family does not approve of me and while he is with me, he does not have access to his assets. So, essentially we have 600 to our name. We need the food stamps but with his "assets" we won't be eligible. Is there any way that I can apply only for myself so that way I can get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes, explain the situation.

I got food stamps and I have a 2008 car and a fully paid for house, but I explained that I got them because my mother bought them for me with the life insurance money after my stepfather died.
    Anonymous

• i dont think so since you live together.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 3:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• they take household income. get a job
    Anonymous

• Yes you can. I lived with a bf and he made good money. I didn't work. I got them bc we were separate households just living under the same roof.
    Anonymous

• yes you can apply only for yourself , you wont get as much, I'm curious why you cant get a job to pay for food?????
    lexisandjayden

Answer by lexisandjayden at 3:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yes you can unless you both share a child. If he's the father of your child then you will be considered one household. If he's not, then you are just room mates.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so since they will want his information too since he is living with you and will be benefiting from the food stamps. I know it sucks but maybe he should sell the car...at least it would turn into cash you guys could use. Don't let people who are rude get under your skin. You may be 81/2 months pregnant, who would hire you? Or maybe you just had a baby 4 days ago. No one knows your specific situation so don't let it get to you. GL. You could sell some of your stuff on craigslist for some quick cash in the short term.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OP-He goes to school full time, so do I. We don't have child care for 1) no one in the area takes or has openings for children under 18 months. My son is 8 months. I was working at night and all day weekends so that way my son would have someone to watch him---his dad, who has to work all day and go to school. Both of us were falling behind on our homework, if you've been to college you would understand how hard it is to do college, work, AND have a baby with no daycare. Not that it's any of your business, though. THAT is why I no longer work. I'd like to add, I began working full time when I was 15. I've paid my taxes for 7 years. I DO have the right to get help that MY income tax dollars have contributed to.
    Anonymous

• Also, he can not sell the car. It was a gift but it isn't under his name. It's under his parents.
    Anonymous

• My mistake--he is on the title so it has to be reported for FS BUT his name is secondary to his parents on the car, which is why he can't sell it.
    Anonymous