valentines day cards at school

did your kids give cards to all the kids in the class? My dd has 2 boys in her class that are mean to her. Call her fat, and have pushed her down in the mud. She didn't want to give them cards. I made her, I asked her how would she feel if she didn't get any cards. I allowed her to give them cards, and not sign her name, but she still had to put it in their valentine box? Am I a bad mom?

lexisandjayden

Asked by lexisandjayden at 3:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes my kids gave to all, and no your not a bad mom. Your teaching her that just because some people act badly it doesnt mean that she has to also. You taught her to be the bigger person and being the bigger person takes guts. WAY TO GO MOM!!! :) I think you handled it well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You did good that is showing her that she is going to be a good person just like her mommy :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• She should have put her name on them anyway. It would have shown that she is the bigger person and that their behavior doesn't bother her. But, it is your choice as a parent and what you did doesn't make you mean or a bad parent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• sometimes it is hard to do the right thing. good for you. I hope you have spoken to the teacher and principal about the name callers though..
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 4:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My daughter doesn't get along with one student in her class. Her teacher sent a note home regarding Valentine's day and say that if we provide a card, candy, etc, it has to be given to everyone. Which we did. I hope you have addressed this issue with your daughter's teacher and/or principal with regard to these children. No child should be bullied at school. I'd also write a letter to the school superintendent and principal asking that these 2 children not be in your daughter's class the next school year. I know my daughter had a love hate relationship with a classmate, and I asked that they not be in the same class together. They were reassigned to different classes. They still are friend and play together at recess. Plus they both have excelled greatly at school since not being in the same class.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010