my four yr old sons big toe is red swollen and occasionally bleeding and oozing.

A few days ago he woke up and told me that his toe hurt. I could not find anything wrong with it so assumed that he had hit it some how while he was sleep. Hes a rough sleeper. He kept saying it hurt then a few days later it turned red and when i went to put his foot in the light more the side of his toe felt hard to the touch. With my touch it began to ooze yellowish pus then it bled a little. It hurts to walk with shoes on and socks rub it as well. It is on the side that touches his other toes and he says his other toes hurt it as well. He has an appointment to see his pediatrian tommorrow. Just wondering had anyone else heard of this.

TreQuansmomma

Asked by TreQuansmomma at 3:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like some sort of infection.
    Anonymous

• It sound like an ingrown toenail or abscess of some kind
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree with the ingrown toenail.
    since it sounds severely infected at this point, I'd take him into the peds office.
    Anonymous

• I was thinking Gout. My dad's big toe will swell and get hard and hurt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It's some sort of infection. It could have been caused by a small splinter, athlete's foot (common foot fungus), callous, or blister that broke and then the irritated skin became infected. If the sore is open and oozing, the best thing to do is apply a topical antibacterial ointment like Neosporin and then cover and secure a clean sterile gauze pad (tape two toes together to prevent rubbing and to keep the pad in place). Have him wear a lightweight sock to keep the area clean. Change the dressing frequently and re-apply the Neosporin (or equivalent).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• take him to the foot doctor
    Anonymous

• Yes I agree take him to a podiatrist not a pediatrician, regular doctors are so uninformed when it come to feet, I saw a regular doctor that only made my issues worse. If it is oozing and you can squeeze it, the get as much of the ooze out as you can, then soak it in peroxide nothing else, and then put bacatracin on it not neosporin, neosporin can make it worse.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• When I was a child I had a blister on my hands from the monkey bars that did that. By the time my mom got me to the dr the infection had turned into blood poisoning...I'm so glad you're taking him to the dr tomorrow.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I called her and she told me not to put peroxide on it or cover it. Leave it open. She doesnt want him touching it and hes not to wear any shoes or socks. Hes had a habit of picking at just that toe so I honestly dont know if he picked it and did it to it. or if he was pickin it cause it was hurting. I'm afraid that hes developing staph or something i would have thought if it was just a scratch it would have heeled. It is exactly where you would get a hang nail on his toe. His toe nails dont really grow that much so we never have a problem with them. We don't have a foot doctor around that I know of. His pediatrician is usually good about referals to other doctors that can help him. He also has to go to a different county to have his teeth filled because he has the beginning of cavities on his front teeth. This will be the 4th time that he will be put to sleep.
    TreQuansmomma

Answer by TreQuansmomma at 5:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• ok one more thing ladies he just showed his grandmother and I his thumb and index finger where he got burned by a hot comb. His thumb is red and peeling and his index finger had a red spot that turned black then back to his original color but is peeling as well. Its been a good while since he got burned and i took care of it with antibiotic ointment and washing. He wore band aides and all that. It wasnt so bad that he had to be rushed to the hospital but it was bad enough to cause discomfort for a while. I was just wondering why that hasnt heeled already as well he usually heels pretty good. He was a preemie and had/has health problems but for the most part is a normal 4 yr old.
    TreQuansmomma

Answer by TreQuansmomma at 5:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2010